Please Help! Klanking/rattling Noise

Well first was the "Clunk" steering shaft. Next was every time I hit the speed bumps at work with the driver side first I would feel something clunk from the front to the back of the truck under my feet. My buddy and I looked and the sway arm bushing were shot and I had the sway arm links so we did those too. I have needed tie rods for a while so I will do those when I am not plowing snow or when its not so dam cold out. At that point I will just replace the idler arm maybe the pitman arm not sure. Gm's idler arms do go so.... Also I have been getting a growl noise when I hit the gas so I have been lead to believe it's the bearings. I can get those for 180 at NAPA so I guess I will start on the drive side.. The shocks are SH&* from the get go and it's time to replace. And it doesn't help when my buddies and I go for a " Joy ride" and they take me down the worst roads in New England that my shocks sux sorry for the rant :rant:

Well first was the "Clunk" steering shaft. Next was every time I hit the speed bumps at work with the driver side first I would feel something clunk from the front to the back of the truck under my feet. My buddy and I looked and the sway arm bushing were shot and I had the sway arm links so we did those too. I have needed tie rods for a while so I will do those when I am not plowing snow or when its not so dam cold out. At that point I will just replace the idler arm maybe the pitman arm not sure. Gm's idler arms do go so.... Also I have been getting a growl noise when I hit the gas so I have been lead to believe it's the bearings. I can get those for 180 at NAPA so I guess I will start on the drive side.. The shocks are SH&* from the get go and it's time to replace. And it doesn't help when my buddies and I go for a " Joy ride" and they take me down the worst roads in New England that my shocks sux sorry for the rant :rant:

Yeah I think I may be facing multiple problems as well. Steering and diff and maybe other front end components. The shocks are bilstein, so they should be good to go. The thing is that it seemed to happen over a short period. The previous owner Justin took really good care of it. I have taken good care as well and have not been ragging on it or anything. The only difference is that I drive it more frequently. I just think 30k miles was the magic number. :(

At first there was nothing then the noise sounded as if it was coming front the front diff, almost like the axle spun freely for a split second then caught.

Please any info would be greatly appreciated

Rob

By what you just described it sounds like the Viscious clutch in transfer case is going bad,drain fluid if its looks like some bad grease or a silver color thats your problem.if you catch it in time you can change it with out replacing the whole unit.The viscous clutch works like a limited slip diff if that helps

Good luck

By what you just described it sounds like the Viscious clutch in transfer case is going bad,drain fluid if its looks like some bad grease or a silver color thats your problem.if you catch it in time you can change it with out replacing the whole unit.The viscous clutch works like a limited slip diff if that helps

Good luck

My thoughts were initially with the transfer case. When I first put it up on the lift the transfer case seemed to have a little slop in it when changing the direction of rotation on the driveshaft with the trans in neutral. It this normal? I am unfimiliar with the tolerances of an AWD vehicle.

Thanks for the valued input, keep it coming gang :chevy:

Edited by rwoodards (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

:uhoh:

So, I put the truck back on the lift on Friday. Following MR. P's how to, I purchased fluid for the front diff(Mobil 1 75w-90 GL5) and transfer case (Auto Trak II), as well as fluids for an oil change. I entered this experience with the notion that either I was going to have to replace/rebuild the diff or the transfer case.

Well I started off with the transfer case. Remembering that the "How to" section called for about 2qts, I pulled the drain plug and much to my suprise, out came less than 12 oz of fluid. :puke: I new instantly that there was no chance that this thing was just gonna need fluid. Not much metal came out with the entire 12 - oz of fluid so I figured I better use my extra 1qt to flush the case cuz I knew it had to be packed with shavings. Not much came out so I stuck a magnet in the drain hole to see what would come out

post-6969-1234158232_thumb.jpg

The magnet came out looking like this 3 or more times, then there was substantially less.

Next up was the front diff, pulled the plug

post-6969-1234158364_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'm fooked!

Guess a rebuild is instore.

The good thing is that I think my front bearings are shot too :cry:

I didn't even have the heart to pull the starter to have a look, I figured with my luck that it would be messed up as well.

Oh well, so goes the story of Hot Rods. Drive break fix!!

If anyone is getting rid of a transfer case I'm in the market unless someone has other suggestions???

I think I'm gonna have 4wheel Parts in Jacksonville rebuild my front diff, they said they would do it for $700 with everything.

Any input or suggestions on a further course of action, please chime in-Thanks!!!

Edited by rwoodards (see edit history)

I have done my diffs and transfers case fluids 3 times...I get shavings on the front magnet (although less) every time I change the fluid...I have over 122k on my truck, and no big noises...although I have had the front wheel bearings replaced with GM bearings 4 times, I will regrettably use non-GM wheel bearings next time......just my .02...

diff bearings easy fix only cost ya 50 60 bucks. alittle bit of metal isn't all that bad from what i have heard. I didn't have any with only 91K and i don't drive like an old lady either. So I was expecting metal..

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I wanted to rap my post up as I have found the problem and fixed it. First of all thanks to all those who gave input towards the tedious trouble shooting.

I would also like to thank 4 Wheel Parts located in Jacksonville Fl on 103rd ST. These guys brought my truck into their shop and put it on jack stands to help me do some trouble shooting, FOR FREE!

It turns out that the problem was my transfer case, changed it and the problem is fixed. :cheers:

I purchased my transfercase from the dealership for about $1150 with a warranty.

I had it installed by 4 Wheel Parts for pretty cheap and they changed all of my u-joints for the same price that quoted for the transfer case(both front and rear driveshafts). I didnt do the swap myself because I have been strapped for time with work and needed it done.

In conclusion my problem is fixed, If you have a similar problem then I would review this entire topic to reviews others inputs, hope this helps the next guy.

Rob

Also Check this out if you think your t-case viscous coupler is bad: