Those with Torque Converters

I did once, and won't do it again unless I have to. I paid $250 to have my newest converter installed, and it was well worth it to me.

If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack, no problem. I did mine with a floor jack and a couple of ramps. I was replaciong the trans at the same time, but its almost the same amount of work. Took me the better part of a weekend to complete it.

Forgot to add: That was on my Z71, but it has a similar drivetrain to the SS. I noticed recently that the torsion bar crossmember of my SS is now rivited to the frame. My Z71 so I could remove it. It seems like that may make it a little harder to work around with the transfer case.

The bolts on the bell housing weren't that bad to reach. Actually, dealing with the transmission dipstick was much more difficult than just reaching the bolts. Long expensions are needed as well as lots of metric deep sockets. Most of the bolts are actually double sided studs.

Good luck. It can be done. I do recemmend that you rent a transmission jack, it will pay off big time.

A big PITA. Easily doable, just not the best circumstances. A 3' extension would be very helpful to get the top bolts off the bell housing. Four jack stands is good to have. A floor jack with a piece of plywood is what I used to lower and raise. Funny you should mention the dipstick - almost got to the point where I had to remove my tranny, just to get it back in. The trick I learned while watching mine get put back in the 2nd time was to leave the damn thing just hanging there and don't pull out and set inside the garage.

The torsion bar crossmember is an obstacle, but easy to get around.

Definitely a weekend project, not a day project. Unless you have access to a lift.

Archived