Dyno Test

Eddie

So, I'm getting my truck dyno-ed for the first time. I want this to be my Baseline runs. So far the only mod that will help hp/torque is an intake. My question is I heard that shops can **** up your car if they don't run the test correctly. What should I be looking for? What could go wrong? I saw a video of a mustang getting it's engine blown up. I definitely don't want that to happen. I don't have any heavy mod yet, so I should be pretty safe, right? And finally is $45 for 3 runs a good, bad, or an average price?

So, I'm getting my truck dyno-ed for the first time. I want this to be my Baseline runs. So far the only mod that will help hp/torque is an intake. My question is I heard that shops can **** up your car if they don't run the test correctly. What should I be looking for? What could go wrong? I saw a video of a mustang getting it's engine blown up. I definitely don't want that to happen. I don't have any heavy mod yet, so I should be pretty safe, right? And finally is $45 for 3 runs a good, bad, or an average price?

first off that sounds cheap as hell. most runs are about 60 for the first power pull, 100 for 2 and about 300 for half day (3 hours). second if its a true dyno and they put the fans in the front producing COLD AIR and not hot engine air u should be fine. Check the history of the shop or the place that ur getting it dynoed to be safe. but i believe ur gonna be fine.

The most common dangerous issues that may happen are:

1. Tire blow out.

2. Drive shaft failure.

3. Wheel weight failures.

The chance of these happening grow with the speed you will run on the dyno. Alot of shops will not take the vehicle any higher than the speed rating of the tire. I have taken my truck up to 150mph+ in 3rd gear which exceeds the tire rating. I was O.K. however there have been numerous occasions of the 3 issues I posted above with other vehicles. The shop has holes in the wall where the wheel weights flew off on some. Word to the wise...don't stand behind the truck :chevy:

Maybe Kellyperformance will chime in. I know he dyno'd a Tahoe that lost a driveshaft.

BTW, That is a great price!!!

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

I'm on another site that is for any kind of performance cars. Once you become a member you can registar for the Dyno day. Feb 21. Maybe it's time for another SoCAl get togather? Here's the link.

http://motorgen.com/forum/calendar.php?do=...09-2-21&c=1

Edited by Eddie (see edit history)