Just Blew My Trans

took the truck out for a quick spin to warm it up, make sure it see's fresh oil every other week and yeah to have some fun on cold roads. After driving for some time to warm the trans up to 150 i put my foot into it getting on the highway and it grabed 1st gear tried to shift into into 2nd and........nothing. It just bounces off the rev imiter untill i lift then shifts into 3rd and will not shift into OD either. The converter still locked in 3rd so i hope thats ok but i have no idea what let loose in the trans. Anyone know what may have let loose to lose 2nd and 4th on a shift to 2nd?

its a flt stage 4 trans that i have beat the hell out of for 43000 miles. 43000 miles of hard driving, drag racing, 4000 rpm launches and all through mid 13 sec passes down to high 12's. I will still be going back to FLT for a stage 5 build.

Sucks to hear, BUT you got 43k out of it man.. thats awesome for the abuse you gave it.

yeah she was good to me, thats why FLT will build the next

:withstupid: You still have reverse, right? The trans has to come out. :(

Mr. P.

reverse still holds all the power as well. Ok bare in mind i know nothing about how a trans works.....whats a 2-4 bandand how does it knock out both gears? would this send metal through the trans and ruin the converter? and trans temps did not go up either, nor was there any noise when it broke.

Thanks Guys

Brad

The band doesn't commonly break, but it's likely worn out. It has a friction material on it just like a clutch. The 2-4 band is just as it sounds, without it working the second and fourth gear won't work. With all of the miles on your truck and what you've used it for it's a decent milage you got out of it. What is really hard on them is when you spin through first and a shift to second is made while the tires are still spinning. It happens so it's not too big of a deal. I'm guessing it won't be too much to get fixed. FLT's re-freshening isn't bad at all. They have great customer service.

thanks zippy, thats exactly what happened....when it down shifted it spun the tires and then shifted to second and.......well the rev limiter worked. Sucks for the timing of it, i'm trying to get parts together for my new set up but i was really pushing the trans and it held up for some time.

The band doesn't commonly break, but it's likely worn out. It has a friction material on it just like a clutch. The 2-4 band is just as it sounds, without it working the second and fourth gear won't work. With all of the miles on your truck and what you've used it for it's a decent milage you got out of it. What is really hard on them is when you spin through first and a shift to second is made while the tires are still spinning. It happens so it's not too big of a deal. I'm guessing it won't be too much to get fixed. FLT's re-freshening isn't bad at all. They have great customer service.

so for us RWD guys you would recommend 2nd gear burn outs not in 1st?

If you are doing a burnout at the track manually shift the truck so that you are in control of the load on the engine. Run it through first to your normal w.o.t. shift point and if you have enough power to spin them in second go ahead and make the shift. When the engine struggles to make enough power to run that next gear the tires will start to grab and that makes for a fight between the tires and the engine with the trans stuck in the middle trying not to slip. Examples of me using first and second in a burnout.

(you can hardly hear me though over the damn V6 next to me)

oh yeah, it's not bad lettingit sit now in the sub zero weather, rather then in 80 degrees and sunny. I've pulled the trans 3 other times so i got that down, but i've never had to take the cable off the pass. side, not sure how to disconnect it?

...but i've never had to take the cable off the pass. side, not sure how to disconnect it?

Cable on the passenger side? You mean the main control wire harness? If so, its just a squeeze and pull, couldn't be easier.