What Is The Purpose Of Methanol Injection?

delay18

Ok so I have been looking through the different sections on here and the how to section looking at various mods. I saw the thread about methanol injection. I know this is probably a newbie question, but that is the purpose of this? I have never heard of methanol injection. Also in that how to thread, your converting the washer reservoir to a methanol tank?? Isn't there a way of setting it up so you washers still work?? :dunno:

Thanks Guys

I could be wrong, but I beleive it is used with a supercharger/blower set-up to lower the intake temps. I know it makes NA engines run cooler, but it has a higher octane rating similar to ethanol. Please feel free to correct me, but i think that's what it's used for.

Ok so I have been looking through the different sections on here and the how to section looking at various mods. I saw the thread about methanol injection. I know this is probably a newbie question, but that is the purpose of this? I have never heard of methanol injection. Also in that how to thread, your converting the washer reservoir to a methanol tank?? Isn't there a way of setting it up so you washers still work?? :dunno:

Thanks Guys

You can use the washer tank because most of us use washer fluid as our meth...its a good source and then you can use it to clean your windows and you have an automatic low level sensor.

"methanol" injection, ideally, is a 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water, straight washer fluid can be subsistuted, but most tuners dont recomend it. methanol is extremely combustive and the water is used to cool the intake charge to prevent predetonation, thats why its popular on forced induction motors. it can be used on na motors as well.

Edited by gmperformanceguy (see edit history)

"methanol" injection, ideally, is a 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water, straight washer fluid can be subsistuted, but most tuners dont recomend it. methanol is extremely combustive and the water is used to cool the intake charge to prevent predetonation, thats why its popular on forced induction motors. it can be used on na motors as well.

What about boost, nitrous and methanol? is it safe?

i've never installed meth and nos on the same motor. i suspect it can be done. methanol does have some drawbacks on a daily driver, like, when tuning a motor with meth the methanol makes up about 25% of your overall fuel charge, this allows you to run on average 6-8 degrees of additional timing advance. therefore its very important to run a bulletproof methanol pump, cause if it fails your left with an extremely lean motor with to much timing...this = motor rebuild/replace. my tuner just finished an 850 horse supercharged vette with methanol, the methanol pump died on the original motor and it blew up on the dyno seconds after the pump failed. but overall i think methanol has more pros than cons.

methanol has no lubricating abilities, and therefore very harsh on cylinder walls and gaskets, o-rings and such. When we used it in the Indycar Series engines, we always ran 110 race gas to "pickle" the engine preventing piston seizure. You can always use a good upper cylinder lube if your running 100% methanol.

I would say spend your money on something else. Like stated above you can advance your timing but if your running that much advanced timing and for some reason the meth is not spraying your done... I was having a new tensioner put on and the guy who installed it turned off the alky control. On the way home I hammered it and Blew my motor. I didn't even make it home..Yeah I should have checked to make sure it was on, and some people use it sucsessfully but I will never put it in one of my rides again... :chevy: