Ok so i picked up this used Diff this afternoon and took mine out well i reaized this front diff has an electrical connection mine does not ???.......This is supposed to be out of an 05 Denalli which i believe all are AWD ......so this connection just has me questioning what this diff came out of anyone know if this will still work or am i SOL ......

n1wfhl.jpg This one is mine

2hwpdoj.jpg This is the used one

That connection looks like what engages the 4WD on a 4X4. I would check the gear ratio. You can pull your axle tube off and put it on the replacement diff. Otherwise you just need to make sure that the diff is always engaged. I am not sure if that mean the solenois is on or off.

Ok so I thought all just standard 4x4's have the 3:73 gears.......so this would not work ......but the guy said this came out of a denalli which i dont believe bcuz as far as i know they are all time AWD....and thats all i can think of that that actuator does is engage the 4 wheel drive

if you could make it turn on and off that would be awesome in my option....fuel milage and burnouts? mabey not i dont know just an idea im no expert

So by some chance these are the 4:11 gears ....would this be possible ?? thats all i would need is the switch with the harness right ??

So by some chance these are the 4:11 gears ....would this be possible ?? thats all i would need is the switch with the harness right ??

Not trying to dicourage you or anything man, it just doesnt seem that it would be that easy. It seems like the transfer case would have alot to do with selectable 4x4 vs AWD since that is the big difference. Maybe that wiring is simply for a sensor that acknowledges that 4x4 is engaged. I have been researching a front diff swap and it seems guys have had more success with a jaspers umit ($1900) or a quality rebuild on their existing unit by a repuidable rebuilder. A couple of guys have done the rebuild themselves, but I dont think it was their first rodeo-setting lash. My 2

You cannot switch the fron diff off on the AWD. It will burn up the viscuous coupling in the diff. The transfer case needs to be loaded front and back evenly.

If you mark the pinion in relationship to the case and then do the same with one of the hubs, you can rotate the pinion until the hub makes one complete revolution. Count the number of revolutions the pinion makes in reference to your mark and that will tell you the gear ratio of the diff you have.

I ran into the same problem when I went shopping for a front diff, what you have there is a 4x4 diff off a Tahoe or Suburban; what you need is the one off an Escalade (the SSS trucks inherited the Escalade drivetrain). The axle you have are a dime a dozen, you can buy them all day around here for $300-400 but the AWD front diffs USED are $1000+. I chased 3 different false leads, guys would swear to me up and down they had the right unit for me and when I got there of course would be totally the wrong diff (typical junk yard wrecker stuff). I kept looking until I found one from a wrecked '04 SSS, I am not an expert here but I don't what you have will work for you as-is :confused:

Mr. P.

I ran into the same problem when I went shopping for a front diff, what you have there is a 4x4 diff off a Tahoe or Suburban; what you need is the one off an Escalade (the SSS trucks inherited the Escalade drivetrain). The axle you have are a dime a dozen, you can buy them all day around here for $300-400 but the AWD front diffs USED are $1000+. I chased 3 different false leads, guys would swear to me up and down they had the right unit for me and when I got there of course would be totally the wrong diff (typical junk yard wrecker stuff). I kept looking until I found one from a wrecked '04 SSS, I am not an expert here but I don't what you have will work for you as-is :confused:

Mr. P.

Yes that is what i am thinking it could be off an avalanche b/c i think they have the 4:10s in them.......luckily I know the guy that owns the junkyard ....and he is pissed they told him it came of a denalli, he had to get it from another salvage yard.......hey came down and took both back to his place with him and said he will find me one or get it rebuilt from a quality tranny shop up by him......but still sux as this is my dd so i had to get my old truck out and it doesnt run well.