Going 408 Soon,what Are The Best Heads For It?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hp is addictive, so I would go AFR's to help solidify and future proof your build.

Mo money up front means less waisted money in the end.

Amen,Thats why I said not looking for bang for the buck,just looking or the best head for my application.

So.......Where's the best place to get a deal on some AFR 225's

....and an F1 procharger?

for a nice thick head deck its going to be afr/et/ amd trickflow. i would have used afr on my motor but i went 6 bolt. one thing you may also want to consider. is use the big block head studs for even more clamping force, i also did this on my new motor along with the 6 bolts because i plan on pushing it.

ive lifted 243's on my motor before . all it took was 16 psi and some juice with a bit too much timing.this was also studed with arp2000 . im just saying you can never have too much in that area.

i also think dozer is right , i dont think you will see the 20 psi on a low cr 408 . if its more than 9.2 -1 i can see pump gas being the limitation. i would also go over that cam with a few people . its better to spend more and do it right the first time rather than save a buck and have to go back and fix more problems.

Amen,Thats why I said not looking for bang for the buck,just looking or the best head for my application.

So.......Where's the best place to get a deal on some AFR 225's

....and an F1 procharger?

Don't go doing a blower upgrade yet. Remember, the more you change at once, the better chance you'll run into problems. Just get it in there with your current pulley setup which will start you off under 10psi and run it. The cubes alone are going to make it faster than your current stock 6.0L with a stock cam and stock heads. Too much timing under higher boost will almost always lift a head or break something, let alone add nitrous in the mix. A set of 243 heads would be a good start for the money. Remember, no need to go from a 12 second truck and try to dive right into shooting for 10's. I would still consider the TR Blower cam for that setup. Keep in mind that if you go with aftermarket heads most recomended to run aftermarket rockers such as the Yellow Terra's. Another big expense.

ive lifted 243's on my motor before . all it took was 16 psi and some juice with a bit too much timing.this was also studed with arp2000 . im just saying you can never have too much in that area.

Its all about cylinder pressure (not "so" much about boost) of which yours was pretty high IMO with the specs you listed above. I could see squeezing a gasket at that point.

Too much timing under higher boost will almost always lift a head or break something, let alone add nitrous in the mix. A set of 243 heads would be a good start for the money. Remember, no need to go from a 12 second truck and try to dive right into shooting for 10's. I would still consider the TR Blower cam for that setup. Keep in mind that if you go with aftermarket heads most recomended to run aftermarket rockers such as the Yellow Terra's. Another big expense.

Good advise. And yea, the Yella Terra's are a bit costly...shop around if you go that route.

Its all about cylinder pressure (not "so" much about boost) of which yours was pretty high IMO with the specs you listed above. I could see squeezing a gasket at that point.

Good advise. And yea, the Yella Terra's are a bit costly...shop around if you go that route.

exactly why i through the timing remark in there i know it was my fault but there is a very thin line. now that i have learned this i know where that line is . :banghead:

Don't go doing a blower upgrade yet. Remember, the more you change at once, the better chance you'll run into problems. Just get it in there with your current pulley setup which will start you off under 10psi and run it. The cubes alone are going to make it faster than your current stock 6.0L with a stock cam and stock heads. Too much timing under higher boost will almost always lift a head or break something, let alone add nitrous in the mix. A set of 243 heads would be a good start for the money. Remember, no need to go from a 12 second truck and try to dive right into shooting for 10's. I would still consider the TR Blower cam for that setup. Keep in mind that if you go with aftermarket heads most recomended to run aftermarket rockers such as the Yellow Terra's. Another big expense.

Zippy,I posted that before we talked last night,and since your tuning it,if baby steps is the way to go without catostrophic failure,I'm all in,but I do think I eventually want to run the TFX 235's since I called trick flow and they said they will work on a 408 with a 4.030 min bore.So I am thinking that I might try patriots 243 castings,they come ported in a 59cc chamber,what do you think?

i think you are a sick sick man and you need help!

good tread, and good read. keep up the conversation

Of all the people that could call me sick........you do???? You've got mod cancer with a side dish of hp hiv!!!!!

If I need help then you need an intervention!!!! :jester:

Of all the people that could call me sick........you do???? You've got mod cancer with a side dish of hp hiv!!!!!

If I need help then you need an intervention!!!! :jester:

um yeah well... you made me this way!

you had me rollin laughing! hmmm hate to say this but i am bored with my SS...

um yeah well... you made me this way!

you had me rollin laughing! hmmm hate to say this but i am bored with my SS...

If your bored with your truck maybe you should have it bored.......and stroked......ya know maybe a 427 lsx,or how about you glass in a hot tub under the tonneau,with led lights and a pop up 65 inch plasma out of the gate so you can watch T.V. while relaxing in the hottub,and while your at it wire it for internet with touchscreen monitors,and hire a butler in a victory red suit to bring us beer and hot wings while we chill in the hot tub watching family guy.........Now that would be awesome!!!!