Dash Gauge Cluster

Black2003SS

Ok guys, I'm finally fed up with the POS junk of a dash gauge cluster that GM designed. I dont want to get custom with it, I just want it to work. My speedo sticks and I have two lights out behind two gauges.

I was quoted by a GM dealership to have it replaced at $600. Thats outrageous. I also received the letter that said if I was under 70,000 miles that I might qualify to have it fixed for no charge. But I have over 70,000 miles, just over, but over.

Now, I know I can remove and install the unit myself as it isnt rocket science. The issue is programming the new cluster with the correct VIN and mileage etc.

I found this one on ebay and it seems like a pretty good deal if it is legit. 1yr warranty, done on an exhange basis with included programming. Should I trust it? Says he has 10 available. What do you think? Is there any hidden cost or issue I am missing? I dont know a whole lot about interior stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5&viewitem=

You don't "need" reprogramming it is just a swap however your mileage and other crap will not carry over. Mileage is not stored in the PCM rather the cluster. To be legal, you may need to take the truck to the dealer and they will certify the mileage on the truck before you install the new cluster (if you do not send your old one back to be recal'd). They typically give you a sticker or a certificate to state the pre-swap mileage. Of course, they can just reprogram it for ya but then you are dealing with the high cost you are looking to avoid.

Yeah, The dealership said there was nothing they could do. The whole "GM is getting tougher this kind of stuff ya know, to save money." line. I'm going to try one more dealership and see what they can do. But I'm not holding my breath.

So my understanding is, I bought the truck with 15k miles on it in 4/06. Now, I have about 76k on it give or take. Whoes going to know besides me, how many actual miles are on the truck? Obviously, I dont want to lie and be dishonest to anyone, especially if I ever sold the truck to a member here down the road. But if I ordered the unit from ebay, told the guy to program it with 76k miles, no one is ever going to know the difference right? There wont be any way for anyone to dispute it right? How would any new buyer even know I changed the cluster out unless I told them? Whats stopping me from telling the guy to program 50 or 60k miles on it? Which I will not do by the way. I hope to sell the truck one day and hopefully to a member on here so...you know, the whole honesty thing.

My hours reset them self. its crazy I will be watching it and they go back to zero

:withstupid: Flipped to mine this morning, says that my truck has 33 hours on it. :wtf:

For the interim, if you have an Aeroforce guage, you can use that for your speedometer until you get the cluster figured out........

eBay for sure, it's where I bought mine and if you look around, there are a couple of how to threads on various sites that will walk you through taking the cluster out and apart. Not difficult at all, I'm no soldering pro for sure.

Mine went out awhile ago at 89k miles. took it to the local deal and they quoted me just over 400. They said I could pay for the work and then see if GM would reimburse me. I said screw it and did it. They did the repair and everything was great. Got a hold of GM and asked them to reimburse me. I had to send a few papers and fill stuff out. But they called me a week ago and said the check was in the mail for 404.72. So it is possible to get them to cover it after the fact. Just keep on them.

P.S. Tell them you want some of that bail out money you gave them :P

Good luck!