Help Me Decide On Gloss Or Matte Wheels!

Gloss black or Matte black wheels?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should i do my wheels and ss badges gloss or matte black?

• Gloss Black
    • Matte Black
    • Other color

i dont know why i quoted but oops. kevin you have have to bake that powder coating on right?

Yes sir. Two stages, bake at 425 for 10 minutes (called "flow - out") and then 30 minutes at 350. That is of course AFTER you media blast all of the old paint and clear off the wheels and clean the crap out of them. It takes alot of time to powdercoat from scratch.

that 10% gets my vote, but do the whole center cap

The centercap is plastic and will not stand up to the powdercoating baking temps. What I used was Krylon Fusion black rattle can and sprayed a second coat at a distance of like 2 feet. What that does is allows the paint to kind of dry before it hits the plastic creating "less of a gloss". It actually matched pretty darn well to the powdercoat. Over time, they did chip (the centercaps) and I just resprayed them every few months. The wheels are still going strong (I sold them to a local guy) as I do see them from time to time. Powdercoating is a very durable option so if you hate polishing wheels, this is the way to go for sure.

I attached a picture that shows my CAI on my new motor powdercoated in the same powder. It isn't a direct picture however I am sure you can figure out what an intake tube looks like in the picture.

IMG_2162.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...