How The Car Scene Was Better 20-years Ago!

misterp

THEN: I used to hop in my '77 T/A that ran low 8's in the 1/8th (that was FLYING for 1990, lol) and just put $20 in the tank and head on out for the night to see what happens.

NOW: I scan the internet before heading out to see who "might" be headed out.

THEN: I used to scrape the inspection sticker off of my winter beater and slap it on my T/A

NOW: I HAVE to get it inspected or the cop cars with the cameras on them will run the plate and know it's not inspected. Also I won't be able to renew my registration

THEN: EVERYONE would actually CRUISE around. You would see musclecars all night long. New 5.0 Stangs, IROCS galore, etc.

NOW: Everyone heads to the local spot (at 11pm at the earliest mind you) and just sits there in a big circle jerk. The next day you hear about some lame-ass freeway pulls that happened at 3am or whatever.

THEN: Street racing was considered "bad", but not "real bad". If you got caught you'd get a bunch of tickets for "unsafe start" or whatever and then they would look over your car real good, and tell you to get off the road for the night.

NOW: They have undercover cops in regular cars just looking for your sreet racing ass, so they can impound your car and literally throw the book at you.

THEN: You actually subscribed to HOT ROD or PHR and some other mags, and devoured every Summit Racing catalog that came to your door. You also had a local speedshop in your area that you would frequent at least every other weekend.

NOW: Internet, nuff said. Your speedshop is probably closed too.

THEN: You could actually afford a musclecar on a working mans salary.

NOW: A working mans salary couldn't buy you **** from '66-'72 unless you want some rusted out off-brand.

THEN: You thought 13's were moving! 12's were INSANE!!!!!!

NOW: If you ain't single digits you ain't **** son!

THEN: You trusted the old man or a few friends, taking their help and advice about your car.

NOW: Everyone online is an ASE certified Master Tech, with degrees in all sorts of auto-mechanics (even though they drive a '92 Civic and are really 19).

THEN: You NEVER knew exactly what you were in for on any night of cruising, or what cars you'd see.

NOW: You know exactly who will be showing up at exactly what time, because it said so on page 12 of your callout thread that you started 4 days ago, which gave your nemisis just enough time to next-day a nitrous kit and drag radials. And the race will never happen anyways; you'll just end up **** talking for the next month because so-and-so "wasn't ready", "needed a tune", "couldn't afford to get another ticket", "needed a nitrous refill", blah, blah, blah.

THEN: You raced from a dig. Only you didn't call it a "dig". How the hell was that phrase ever coined?!

NOW: You TRY to get people to race from a dig and they back down every time. They say things like "roll-racing is all about the car, dig racing is about the driver". **** YOU dipshit, not my fault you bought a FWD or can't drive a stick.

Mr. P. :)