For those that have bought new motorycycles

ctrow

I've been thinking about getting a new motorcycle but I've never bought one from a dealership. How much are dealerships willing to come off of MSRP?

In case you're wondering, I'm looking at a Honda 600RR.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just purchased a new '04 Harley 1200 Custom.. There is a commercial on TV stating the

starting price of $6495.00..... Don't believe that.... At this time of year everyone

wants a cycle and if you get one for MSRP, feel fortunate.

But they are fun....

Good luck.

So it sounds like I should wait until Winter time to buy. I do have the 600 Suzuki Bandit for the time being so I'm not at a total loss. But, you know what it's like when you want a newer, faster toy.... :D

Thanks for the input. I may go down and talk to the dealership but we'll see.

The dealer wanted my 1960 Harley Topper real bad... so I didn't pay the

$10,005.00 he was asking for the '04 Harley... But I imagine he can write

it off as advertising and still come out ahead.

Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, MS. Worth the drive for sure. The last time I was in the market for a Honda I called and they beat my local stealers best price by $2800! ;)

I checked their website: CBR600RR $7400 How's that? :confused:

ctrow,

Buying a bike is nothing like the purchasing smorgasbord that you go through at car dealerships. The easiest way to get the best deal is first find out what the rock bottom price is for a 600rr. Checkout some Honda websites and see what others have paid, this will give you a rough idea of what to shoot for.

And I would suggest taking out a loan from your bank or credit union so that you have cash in hand. Dealers will work with you when they see that you want a bike today, they don’t want you to go to another dealer. So ask them what the out the door price is. Usually it will be around $1400 more than you are looking to pay. This is because of dealer mark up and tax title and license fees. Then when they come back and tell you what the out the door price is, tell them what you will give them, right now. Most of the time they will work with you to make a quick sale. If they won’t come down on the price very much. Ask them to through in a bunch of free gear, leathers helmets gloves ECT. And also ask them to through in free maintenance for the first year.

Most of the time some type of deal will be worked out to make you both happy.

My last couple of bikes I have done this on and I walked away the winner in the deal, it’s the cash in hand that gets them to compromise.

Since I don’t have the SS anymore, my daily driver is my 2003 ZX12R; it’s a blast to ride! Hopefully there aren’t any street sweepers out there lucking in the shadows, LOL…

Good luck! :thumbs:

D.

I was pretty pumped when I found out how much insurance was going to cost. For 20/40/25, it was $110 a year. They only go off of cc's and not what type through State Farm.

Honestly I would probably be happy with $8000 including an aftermarket Two Brothers exhaust. MSRP is $8600. Who knows if that's realistic. Oh, and the first year of maintainance free :thumbs:

Thanks rico750sxi, I really want the 1000RR but I know my limits. A 600cc after exhaust and a power commander should be more than enough to scare me.

I bought a new Kawasaki ZRX 1200R when they came out in 2001. MSRP was 7899.00 and that's what I paid. I've never seen a dealership in Oklahoma mark down a bike. The salesman told me that if I didn't buy it the next guy would. That sucks, and I wanted to walk away, but I wanted the bike.

It is awesome by the way, but I just don't ride it much. It is three years old last month and has around 2800 miles.

Any buyers interested? Corbin seat, Muzzy SS exhaust, excellent condition. I don't know , I might ride it this year! Yeah, right...

Well, a friend of a friend bought his for 7800 which I found out last night.

SuperDave, we could meet at Meers sometime and have a burger. 4 of us went down to Mt Scott one day and had a pretty good time. I think Lawton was close to you.

Well at this point, I want it but not that bad. I can wait and check around. Besides I need to sell the Bandit before I could do anything anyway.

What you pay depends on if you really check around. If you can get out the door for under MSRP your doing good. That means tax, title, and all the other BS, and if you are hardcore get them tol throw stuff in like helmets and coats.

If you really want the best deal find out the dealers invoice. Goin there and counter everything they say. You have to be a prick when buying a bike tell them you want out the door for 7500 or whatever you are willing ot pay. BUt shop around not all dealer are created equally.

Also factor in your insurance before buying a bike. And as a Bike rider I recommend getting a 600 to start with, 1000s leave you little room for error. Most 1000s have a 150 hp at the rear wheel and go up to almost 170 hp at the rear wheel.

Jeff

Archived