Catalytic Converter

ebomberger

The other day, while driving to work, I stopped to pay a toll and heard a loud "knocking" sound coming from underneath the truck when stopped and driving at low speeds. I pulled over and crawled around under the truck to see where the sound was coming from. I was freaking out, thinking it was rod bearings or somethings. When I got home and crawled under again, a found that there is something banging around inside the passenger cat. What the hell is causing this?

If I remove the cats, will the truck run any differently until I get the PCM tuned?

Your cat is coming apart internally and needs to be replaced. If you delete the cats without tuning for it, your truck will run fine but will have a pesky CEL until you have the rear 02 codes deleted.

Your cats are warrantied 8years/80,000 miles by Federal mandate, if you are within this, the dealer should replace your cats FOC........

The cats are shot! I had the same thing with my last truck. If you've ever seen the inside of a stock one it looks like a honeycomb material and that knocking your hearing is more than likely pieces that have broken up and are bouncing around from pressure and pinging against the cat housing.

Replace em or ditch em - you're hp and mileage will suffer if you don't...

You won't notice a big gain in horsepower. Gains are minimal. Somewhere around 1-2-3 horsepower is all. Nothing noticable. I had the same thing happen. I ran a crow bar through my cats and then had my pcm tune accordingly. Mine got to the stage of causing the misfires. Not fun.