Driver Side Rear Wheel Wobble

:( So unfortunately my truck was in an accident. i'm not going to get into the details of how it happened but it was scraped along the side and hitcaught my rear wheel. And now it looks like my wheel is wobbling. i took it to discount tire and had them rotate and balance the tires and it still looks like it wobbling. Could i maybe have bent something back there? what might cause this wobble? I can't feel it wobbling the truck but it still worries me. I jacked up the rear of the truck to see if there was any play in the wheel and there was not. any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

take it to a dealership or a shop and have them look at the issue and see if maybe it is actually wobbling and just not your imagination because you know what happened to your truck. How are you looking at it? You looking through the mirror while your driving or have someone else drive it and you follow? Make sure that everything is nice and tight.

:( So unfortunately my truck was in an accident. i'm not going to get into the details of how it happened but it was scraped along the side and hitcaught my rear wheel. And now it looks like my wheel is wobbling. i took it to discount tire and had them rotate and balance the tires and it still looks like it wobbling. Could i maybe have bent something back there? what might cause this wobble? I can't feel it wobbling the truck but it still worries me. I jacked up the rear of the truck to see if there was any play in the wheel and there was not. any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

Check your u bolts maybe there bent.... or maybe your wheel is bent??? I dont know I would need more info to have an idea of what was hurt.

:confused: OK you rotated the tires which takes the bent wheel out of the equation...... if its doing the TWO step wobble you have something bent OR broken don't drive it except to a place of repair or the next accident will be worse

i followed behind it today and saw that it was wobbling. when it was in the accident it scraped a pole all the way till it caught the wheel (my wheel is a 24 x 10 so it sticks out a bit). So the wheel made contact witht the pole while the truck was moving foward it wasn't going very fast but it hung pretty good before i realized the damage was done and the pole took sufficient damage. My boy said maybe the hub got messed up but i don't have any clue.

:withstupid: Its the axle for sure. Been there done that. G.F. drove the truck and had a blow out. She drove it home the last mile or more on rim...still can see the rim marks in the road where she turned on my street. When I got home I put the spare on and set off for Discount. I had the whole pissed of WTF where you thinking attitude and I hear what sounded like warped rotters. Long story short...bought a new rim, a new break kit, had my tires balanced and even the rim that was driven on wasn't bent. Only one last thing it could be, my axle was bent. Replaced it and its all good now but damn I would still think that a rim would bend before your axle does. Any way man an axle is not that hard to change out, good luck and hope you get it back on the road.

Aight so a bent axle shaft is the most probable cause. unfortunately i live at an apartment complex so i have to drive on base to use there auto repair stalls. So is there any way i can tell if this is the problem or should i just go ahead and replace it? How much am i looking at spending if i do it myself?

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem Eezy. Someone noticed my right rear wobbling last week as I was driving down road (04 SS,AWD). It wasnt shaking the steering, but I could see it through the mirror. I brought mine to dealership and they said rear axle assembly needs to be replaced. They also gave a laundry list of other things, totaling to $2,600, so that's when I joined this site to try and figure this out myself. You guys are very helpful here, it's great to see that. I ok with working on motorcycles and dirtbikes, but not much experience with trucks. Does anyone have a how-to guide for replacing the rear axle?

I'm having the same problem Eezy. Someone noticed my right rear wobbling last week as I was driving down road (04 SS,AWD). It wasnt shaking the steering, but I could see it through the mirror. I brought mine to dealership and they said rear axle assembly needs to be replaced. They also gave a laundry list of other things, totaling to $2,600, so that's when I joined this site to try and figure this out myself. You guys are very helpful here, it's great to see that. I ok with working on motorcycles and dirtbikes, but not much experience with trucks. Does anyone have a how-to guide for replacing the rear axle?

As a matter of fact I have all the pics from doing it last week and was planning to do a write up on it at some point. Since you need it, I will try to sit down tonight when I get home from work and bust it out for you.

Rob

Edit: BTW Welcome!

Edited by delay18 (see edit history)

As a matter of fact I have all the pics from doing it last week and was planning to do a write up on it at some point. Since you need it, I will try to sit down tonight when I get home from work and bust it out for you.

Rob

Edit: BTW Welcome!

That's awesome Rob. Thanks. After reading the posts yesterday, I parked my truck so I don't cause any additional damage. I'm just trying to figure out what other parts I need to order. I also have some oil and trans lines leaking and the dealership said I have something going on with front left tire and my front brakes and rotors are shot. This was all surprising as this is my daily driver and rides like a cadillac. I'm debating how much of an overhaul I should do on this thing. I kinda want to put bigger brakes on it and now may not be a bad time to lower it a little bit, so the 22's fit better.