Brake Failure With Earl's Hyperfirm

dantwomey

Yesterday I suffered a partial brake failure in my truck that quickly progressed to almost no brakes. On first inspection I could see brake fluid underneath the truck so on the tow truck and off to the shop it went. I just got a call from the shop and they're saying the leak is right at the caliper where the Earl's hyperfirm connects. Their initial report is that the flat washers supplied with the Earl's kit corroded away and they're now looking for brass washers to replace them. Does this make any sense to anyone? I can't imagine Earl's would supply washers that would corrode away causing a brake failure.

Regards,

Dan

I don't believe Earls supplys washers with there kits (mine didn't) There should be 2 copper crush washers (one on each side of the banjo bolt connecting the line to the caliper) Who installed the lines?

I don't believe Earls supplys washers with there kits (mine didn't) There should be 2 copper crush washers (one on each side of the banjo bolt connecting the line to the caliper) Who installed the lines?

A local shop installed mine about 18 months ago. I can't remember for sure if the crush washers came with the kit or not. I seem to vaguely remember some sort of washer with the kit.

Regards,

Dan

I remember there being washers in the kit also, but I dont remember what they were for either....it's been almost a year since I installed them.

My shop showed me the corroded washers they installed that came with the kit. They installed brass crush washers today. This really puzzles me because I doubt Earl's would include washers that couldn't handle the salt on the roads of the northern states and Canada.

Regards,

Dan

Copper crush washers FTW!

The zinc-coated washers that came with the kit failed on my truck due to corrosion. I had them replaced with brass crush washers. I'm lucky that with 30 years driving experience I knew what to do.

Regards,

Dan :(

I'm just now reading this. I can imagine that they did testing with their special washers down south where there is no crap to corrode their fancy washers. With you and Joe both having this problem I'd say a call to Earls should happen.