X2000 in HIGH HEAT!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked mine later in the day on Tuesday at about 6PM. By then it had gone completely flat again. It was not bulging alot, but certainly noticeable. It did not look like a blister like RDSS described. It was more like the center of the cover was bowing evenly from side to side and front to back. The cover still feels rock-solid, so I don't think the fiberglass laminates are separating or it is from air-pockets. I think it is simple expansion from heat, but the outer frame is not allowing the center to expand to the sides or front/back. My only concern is if this would cause fiberglass or paint cracking over many cycles.

I will see if I can get some before and after pictures this weekend, if it is sunny.

rdss, go to the "goof off" section and check out the test2 post. Some board members got me straight on posting photos there.

Rick R

Well, I wrote back to Gaylord's again and once again, they gave me the blow off. They did say they would send the pics to there warrenty department, so, I will just wait and see where it goes from there. Here is the reply they gave me, let me know if I am reading it wrong and they are not blowing me off.

Hello Charlie: I'm so sorry that you are frustrated with this. However, I truly don't see the major hump that you see. I will forward this to our Warranty Dept. to see that he can review this. Thank you!

And I am not sure why the pics are not posting, I have a webshots account and I have posted pics that have worked before, not really sure what I am doing wrong. I will email Bill the pics because so he can post them.

Looks close to the curvature that I saw on my cover. Your lid does not look blistered at all. For those who are unfamiliar, the Gaylord X2000 is normally flat. There is no curvature like AREs (not sure about SnugTops).

Does your lid return to flat when it is cooler out? Mine is perfectly flat when cool. My cover still feels rock-solid. They have been making the traditional and X2000 covers for awhile, so maybe this does not hurt anything. I emailed Gaylord for written confirmation of their lifetime warranty, if this cycling causes fiberglass or paint cracking.

Maybe if you took cool and hot photos and placed a straight edge in the background, the curvature would be easier to see for those who are unfamiliar. Gaylords certainly should have noted it.

Rick R

I will get a straight edge and take some pics hot when I get back from Jamaica, thanks for that idea, didnt even think of adding something to reference it like that.

C.K.

I will get a straight edge and take some pics hot when I get back from Jamaica, thanks for that idea, didnt even think of adding something to reference it like that.

C.K.

rdss,

I do see what you are looking at. Here are some photos of mine under the AZ heat right now it's about 100* maybe.

PDC_0186.JPG

PDC_0187.JPG

PDC_0188.JPG

PDC_0189.JPG

Yeah, thats almost looks as bad as mine did the first time. It isnt really a blister, it is a bulge in the fiberglass. I have been trying to get Gaylord's to work with me with this problem, but, every solution I came up with talking to a tech would void my warrenty. So, I cant try and fix it, which I think a few holes to vent the two layers would help and they have no desire to fix a problem they have by doing the R&D on there own cover that they say has the same problem. I get an email back from Gaylord's saying they are going to talk with there warrenty department and a week and half later, still no word. If they would just get one cover that has our problem and work with it, they could figure out a simple fix that could be done by taking it to a certified dealer. I am not really sure what to think about these covers anymore, they were great before this problem and now I wont recommend them to any one even if my life depended on it. So, I guess them dealing with me lost me as a customer and everyone that asks me what do I think about my cover.

C.K.

Seems to me that with all this expanding/contracting, something is going to start cracking sooner or later - either the paint or the fiberglass? And the way Gaylord's is handling this is costing them sales - me for one. They shouldn't underestimate the power of word-of-mouth... good luck to you guys who are trying to get yours replaced!

Seems to me that with all this expanding/contracting, something is going to start cracking sooner or later - either the paint or the fiberglass? And the way Gaylord's is handling this is costing them sales - me for one. They shouldn't underestimate the power of word-of-mouth... good luck to you guys who are trying to get yours replaced!

All I can say is, I've already decided against getting any Gaylord's lid until this stuff is sorted out. Fit & finish is all well and good in a product, but if it can't stand up under the heat it's no good at all to me. That expanding/shrinking, especially so visible in the pictures, is going to wreck hell on the paint eventually.

This makes me wonder if the problem is a new one that's come up, perhaps a new mfg process or if it's something that's been going on for a while? From that email correspondence, it sounds like this problem has cropped up before. Gaylord's has a good reputation, from reading various forums & word-of-mouth, but it'll be shot to hell and back if this keeps up. I definitely will not recommend them to anyone. The fact that it happened at all is bad enough, but IMHO they should be jumping overthemselves to get this straightened out.

Best not to get one yet.. get their atttention by not ordering any. I emphasize this as, I still haven't heard a response from Gaylord to my 2 emails on my X2000 over the past 2 weeks.

The lid has a 1 year hardware and a lifetime structural warranty. I have been busy with other stuff to pursue this concern hard. When I get a chance to take some pics and talk to the local dealer that I bought it through, I will let you know.

Still feels solid and I love it. The minor bowing does not appear to be hurting anything so far. However, I want something in writing that they will replace it or pay to paint it, if it cracks the fiberglass or paint from all of this heat cycling! I don't feel that my lid has any immediate problems that require that it be returned now.

I am not real happy that they stole 2 of my photos to post on the Gaylord website without asking me. No response there either.

Rick R

I still haven't heard a response from Gaylord to my 2 emails on my X2000 over the past 2 weeks.

Rick R

It's really easy to ignore an email, If I were you, and the e-mails didn't work, I would find the phone number and give them a call. It's a lot harder to hang up on someone than delete an e-mail.

Talk to their customer service department, and go higher with each phone call until you get the attention you deserve. Be nice on the phone, you get further with sugar than you do with vinegar. Record your calls, and make a paper trail of the occurences. If you still don't receive desireable results, call the Better Business Bureau and log a complaint. Have the companies name, physical address, telephone number, date of purchase of cover, transaction number if available, name of who you contacted on the phone, and list the number of e-mail contact attempts.

This is the only sure fire way to get results. The BBB isn't on your side or their side, their sole purpose is to protect the consumer in general and make sure the business is acting according to the rules that control retail and wholesale business in this fine country.

I hope you get the results you're looking for.

I plan on inquiring about the Speedstur cover but I'll tell them I'm not buying until this problem of yours is resolved. That may wake them up, or it may not. If it doesn't I'll buy a SnugLid!

Keep us posted,

SuperDave

:flag:

Archived