X2000 in HIGH HEAT!!

I just talked to Gaylord's yesterday, the tech guy that I talked to said his does the same thing and that they havent started any research into how to fix this problem. So, I mentioned drilling a couple of holes on the underside to try and vent the air inbetween the two layers of fiberglass, he said that might work but I would void my warrenty if I had any problems. Now, I am stuck on what to do, he said to call back in two weeks and see if anything has been figured out, but, I think that was just a nice way of blowing me off. BSER also called them and they said they would replace it, but, they would need me to send mine in first or buy a new one and they would refund my money when they recieved mine. I guess I will just wait to see if they figure out how to fix this problem and then go from there.

C.K.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie,

I think your truck just has gas. I get bloated in the middle when I get gas, so that's it... yep I'm sure. Just go out and rub it's belly so it'll fart or burp and it should go down. There, all better! If that doesn't work, just take it off when the temp is over 85! :jester: Oh yea, you're in Florida now, looks like you need to sell the tonneau to me for 50cents and be finished with your problem!

Take it easy buddy! :jester:

I hear yeah, it does have gas, and that is why I am debuting on putting a few small holes on the underside to see if it fixes the problem. Untill Gaylord's tells me there is nothing that can be done, I will just park it in the shade as much as possible. Ohh, and 50 cents sounds like a better deal for you than me!! Thanks for the advice Super Dave.

I get bloated in the middle when I get gas,

Thanks for sharing, dude, but I really think that's just a little more then most of us wanted to know. Ben Dave and Dennis, of course, being the only exceptions. :D

This is Gaylord's reply to my email to them.

Hello Charlie: We thank you for emailing us. However, unfortunately, this can be an issue in heat with Fiberglass. It will build a memory, and once it heats up, will swell, and then in the colder months, or evening, or under a tree will come back down. We have a truck here that does this. As far as drilling holes to release pressure, I don't think this would eliminate or correct it completely. It's fiberglass, and the resin that constructs it. If you feel the desire to take pictures and send them to us while the lid is swollen, please send them to [email protected]. He will check it out, however, this is common in some hotter states. We get that here in California too!

We thank you!

The lid isn't swelling as bad, I will keep an eye on it and keep yall posted. If it is bad resin, I will just send it back to them for an exchange.

C.K.

i dont want to get to tech on you but if it has seperated it will become a poblem later if it swells in the heat it will droop real bad with rain or snow on it if it is sepreated then moisture will get in and make it worse they need to fix or replace your cover

This is Gaylord's reply to my email to them.

Hello Charlie:  We thank you for emailing us.  However, unfortunately, this can be an issue in heat with Fiberglass.  It will build a memory, and once it heats up, will swell, and then in the colder months, or evening, or under a tree will come back down.  We have a truck here that does this.  As far as drilling holes to release pressure, I don't think this would eliminate or correct it completely.  It's fiberglass, and the resin that constructs it.  If you feel the desire to take pictures and send them to us while the lid is swollen, please send them to [email protected].  He will check it out, however, this is common in some hotter states.  We get that here in California too! 

We thank you!

The lid isn't swelling as bad, I will keep an eye on it and keep yall posted.  If it is bad resin, I will just send it back to them for an exchange.

C.K.

Hey Ho C.K,

I would not :nonod: drill holes and void any chance of warranty and let them off the hook.

Is this guy running for :jester: congress, give me a break...

How many Vettes do you see bulging in the sun.

I had 2 Black Mopar covers replaced on my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab and you know how black draws the sun. Red stays much cooler.

How hot was the cover :confused:

When parked in the Sun "I could almost cook breakfast on it from the heat".

Both covers had delaminated and the third was considerably thicker , beefier struts and was 100% perfect from the word go.

My 2 cents is they are not making the top thick enough and scrimping on the resin.

Most covers are fiberglass with gel coat on top of a mid layer piece of corrugated cardboard(yes cardboard) and resin impregnated fiberglass under side with white and speckled finish. That's how the Mopar covers are made.

Obviously Gaylord's :smash: cover is industry sub-standard and they have a problem that has to be addressed.

Maybe your alternative is to seek advice from the BBB, to have them fix problem or give you a Full Refund.

Dr Mike

I have the Gaylord Tonneau in Black and I live in Southern California. It gets hot enough here to bake on it and it sets in the sun all day at work. I had it installed on Tuesday and it stays perfectly flat. I am sure the best bet would be to have them ship a new one to you and then just return the old one in the packaging the new one comes in. I dont think that they are sub-standard at all, you do have a certain allowance for bad product especially with fiberglass production. I have a business making fiberglass and carbon fiber fuel rail covers for the LS1 engines in Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes and Streetrods. I will be working on custom covers for the SS this summer too, I always ship a new set out immediately if there are any problems at all. There has to be an allowance for the fiberglass delaminating, it is just a fact of life when working with a product that heats as it cures. In the curing process it can develope air bubbles or pockets which can cause the problems you are having. Long post for a short answer, sorry!

2004SS

I don't know if 2 days constitutes a acid-test for proving the lid will not de-laminate. Your new cover is black, so it will get hotter than my blue lid in the sun, but it will take more time to prove this.

I have had mine installed since early February with no problems, but it has only gotten into the lower 80s so far. However, the intense July thru August sun here in South Florida will be the first ireal test.

rdss,

If this is common problem for them, like Gaylords email suggests, this is completely unacceptable. Failure rates should be very rare or new materials, design or processes are required.

If your cover has already swelled, the damage is done. It will only get worse. The fiberglass and paint will probably start cracking. Don't even think of drilling it. Like a previous post stated, if you hear a thud versus a sharp knock when you tap it, that will probably confirm that it is no longer a single fiberglass layer.

Don't let them push you around. Set up a dispute with your credit card etc.

Rick R

My only point earlier is that the process for curing can cause bubbles or air pockets. This problem will be there from day one and not develope slowly over time unless you introduce more heat to cause a preasure in the pocket. He has obviously seen this and should have the cover replaced, then send the old one back in the packaging from the new cover.

The buldge will only get bigger by intrucing more heat. If the preasure causes further delamination the pocket will have more area to expand into causing a smaller bulge. The fiberglass is sealed by the resin and will hold the offending air unless the preasure overcomes the surrounding material.

If my other post was not clear, I can get long winded on this subject as I have a business that deals with this type of problem all the time. Carbon Fiber has more of a chance for air pockets and is alot harder to work with to get a perfect product without a vac mold process.

Bottom line, Get it replaced!

I would love to have it replaced, but the only problem is that when I called Gaylord's they said wait a few weeks and see if they have figured anything out. While I was doing this, I was on the Chat with BSER and he thought it was crap, so he also called them. They told him that they would replace it, but for that to happen, I would have to buy an new cover and apon the return of my original, they would refund my money. With my recient move from Maine to Florida, funds are low and I will be leaving for Jamaca to get married next weekend. Another option they gave BSER was for me to mail mine back to them and then they would send me a new one, which would leave my bedrug exposed to the weather for no telling how long. I will just end up saving up some money or calling them again and seeing what BSER and I can get done about having them send me a new one with out a charge. Thanks for all yalls help, I will not drill holes in it and I will have it replaced, I just dont know when. Once again I appreciate the help!!!

C.K.

Charlie,

The weather won't hurt your bed rug. I've got one and its outside uncovered all the time. Vacuum it and it looks like new!

Bring me back some rum and a honeymoon video tape :lol:

David

Archived