Went To The Track Last Night

shadowsniper3006

Finally made it to the track this year after the truck being down for so long with a blown trans. I got over 500 miles on the new stage 5 flt trans a thought it would be a good night to race. I didn't set a new personal best but close to it anyway. I made 8 passes and never lost a race so it was a good night. I tried a bunch of different things like hot motor, cold motor, lock the converter in 3rd not locking the converter, 2 zippy tunes and it was all pretty close. I ran a tune he updated for me and the tune he did for me that set my P/B at 12.82, and because my truck always kicks a misfire code i was able to run each tune with and with out converter lock up in 3rd. The best run i got was a 12.88 with a 1.799 60'. My 60 foot times where off a bit but traction was great so i'm not sure what was going on there. Although my personal best time was set around 45 degree's and it was 60 last night. My best time did come with the converter locked though and that time had the best MPH, 103.59, although not the best 60 foot. The best 60 foot of the night, 1.792 produced an et of 12.901 with a 103.24 mph again with the converter locked. For the night the times where 12.958, 12.901, 12.968, 12.888, 12.943, 12.912, 13.055, 13.067. The 13 sec passes came from hot lapping it. Here is locked vs. unlocked times

12.901, 1.792 60': truck was cold

12.888, 1.799 60': truck was cold

12.912, 1.785 60': truck was hot

unlocked

12.958, 1.819: right off the highway

12.968, 1.803: truck was hot

12.943, 1.803: truck was hot

never mind the 13 sec passes, truck was hot lapped 3 times

But it was a cool night, i got to race a hot rod 442, turbo bmw, 2 wheel drive tbss, and EVO twice. The evo grudged raced me with 2 diff. drivers, one turned 13.6 and the other f-d up and ran 15.6. The turbo bwm was running 13.6, and the amg was running 12.96. BUT the ZR-1 was all over the place, he couldn't traction to save his soul. I saw that car run 11.9 rolling off the line and blowing 3rd gear. His best time was 11.3 and he said the car had a bunch more in it. On one passs he spun the tires even in 3rd gear.

The trans is great, so far so good, and Joe I wouldn't be at all surprised if you past my times. I'm sure your set up has it in it... a little more zippy TLC and your truck will mooooooove!

I'm still launching off idle right now, when zippy was up here he logged an off idle launch and a loaded launch. The off idle flashed at 4100 and the loaded flashed at 3800-3900 if i remember right, so i figured the off idle is the way to go.

i also tried 10 pounds in the rear airbags and 40 pounds in the air bags and the track prep was so good she never spun the tires anyway, so can't tell if the air bags helped for traction or not

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I'll try to get you some more updates. Some wideband runs should do the job. Not bad either way for an N/A 6.0L.

i think the tune is great for WOT! it never hits any KR it shifts great, pulls very hard all the way down the track. And from what i just tested the lock up seems to be helping, although very little. I'm not sure it could get it any better for the track, the street driving is kinda hard though, i do a lot of city driving and then onto the highway and the city driving kicks the misfire code and then on the highway she doesn't lock up so i am resetting the pcm every 10 minutes. And the rear o2s are kicking a code now as well , but thats just because i finally took them out. If you think there is more in her, then awesome, but the WOT Tune is pretty darn good if you ask me :cheers:. and yeah i am VERY happy with the time for the mods i have. Can you imagine what she would do with a fast or pro flo intake, more compression and a set of trick flow heads........

A Fast 92/92 would likely gain you 30hp or so and up to .2 or so. A better set of heads with more compression will be a good next big goal. If you're looking to see how fast you can go on the stock short block it might be a good time to find some 5.3L heads. Those milled .015 with the thin head gasket would be around 11.5:1 compression or so. Compression and a slightly more agressive cam would be another few tenths gain. Cold air sure seems to make your jump out of the hole even more. When I was there it launched like a Radix truck, only harder. Considering when you first did the cam and heads you were in the high 13's you've come quite a long ways. It's going to be hard to beat your best 6.0L N/A SSS time for a while.

i think the tune is great for WOT! it never hits any KR it shifts great, pulls very hard all the way down the track. And from what i just tested the lock up seems to be helping, although very little. I'm not sure it could get it any better for the track, the street driving is kinda hard though, i do a lot of city driving and then onto the highway and the city driving kicks the misfire code and then on the highway she doesn't lock up so i am resetting the pcm every 10 minutes. And the rear o2s are kicking a code now as well , but thats just because i finally took them out. If you think there is more in her, then awesome, but the WOT Tune is pretty darn good if you ask me :cheers: . and yeah i am VERY happy with the time for the mods i have. Can you imagine what she would do with a fast or pro flo intake, more compression and a set of trick flow heads........

where are you locking your converter at in 3rd?

I believe his is set to lock at 101mph which is just before he crosses. It'll take me a while to find exactly which files he has, but that sounds about right. With his converter being so loose it helps pick up a bit of mph at the end. I believe he has the only 6.0L N/A AWD model that has trapped over 100mph which is impressive for a converter that loose. Many of the supercharged trucks on the list don't even have that trap speed.