Need Help On Replacing 2 Front Wheel Studs!

SSThunder

Long story short. Tirediscounters screwed up 2 front wheel studs so now I need to replace them. I've got 2 inch drop spindles up front and it seems to me that has to be removed before I can get to the wheels studs. Is that correct? I've got the rotor and caliper removed and I can cut the bad wheels studs close to the bottom so they would be easy to remove, but to install the 2 new wheel studs it seems to me that I need to remove the drop spindle or at least loosen it up so I can install them. what do you guys think?

i'm having a hard time visualizing your problem. can you snap some pics? is there not enough room in the back to pound the new studs in?

edit: i think i may understand, if it is what im thinking then yes you will need to remove the hub. i'll try to find some pics from another hub.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

i'm having a hard time visualizing your problem. can you snap some pics? is there not enough room in the back to pound the new studs in?

edit: i think i may understand, if it is what im thinking then yes you will need to remove the hub. i'll try to find some pics from another hub.

Yep, there doesn't appear to be enough room behind the hub to install the new studs because the spindle is in the way. Do I remove the spindle or the hub itself? If the hub, then how is that removed?

Undo the axle nut (36mm I believe) Then undo the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the spindle. Once the hub is loose from the spindle you should have enough room to put the new wheel studs through the hub. Reinstall hub to spindle. Use washers and a wheel nut turned over (upside down) to pull the stud into the hub. Reinstall axle nut (150 lbs ft torque @least)

Cliff notes version, but hope this helps Jeremy :thumbs:

I found a repair manual I had on the silverados and it shows that the hub can be removed by removing the 3 spindle bolts. But I wait to see what you have Woody. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I replaced 1 stud on the back last year and it wasn't too bad.

you'll have to remove the brake caliper, buy the appropriate bearing grease and new grease seal.

2-dustcap.jpg

3-axlenut.jpg

you'll have too find the axle nut torque procedures when you re-install the hub.

picture credit to mr. p. from this link : How-To Link

do not follow the other procedures stated in that link. once you remove the the axle nut, the hub will come off with a little help.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

Undo the axle nut (36mm I believe) Then undo the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the spindle. Once the hub is loose from the spindle you should have enough room to put the new wheel studs through the hub. Reinstall hub to spindle. Use washers and a wheel nut turned over (upside down) to pull the stud into the hub. Reinstall axle nut (150 lbs ft torque @least)

Wow...36mm. I don't have anything to fit that I don't believe....doh!! I guess I might be making a trip to Lowes for some tools lol :jester:

You'll need to remove the caliper and rotor to gain access to the hub assembly...my bad for not including this

how long is your breaker bar or ratchet?

My 1/2" ratchet wasn't very long but my buddy came over and used part of the bar from my jack with the 1/2" ratchet and I stood on it like in MrP's pics and that broke it free. I just got done putting it all back together and putting my tools up. Thanks for the pics and all the help friends. I've know replaced wheels studs on the back and front and should be able to do it with my eyes closed lol :jester:

Thanks guys for the fast replies and help :cheers:

My 1/2" ratchet wasn't very long but my buddy came over and used part of the bar from my jack with the 1/2" ratchet and I stood on it like in MrP's pics and that broke it free. I just got done putting it all back together and putting my tools up. Thanks for the pics and all the help friends. I've know replaced wheels studs on the back and front and should be able to do it with my eyes closed lol :jester:

Thanks guys for the fast replies and help :cheers:

good stuff! :thumbs: