What Would You Do (sub Dilema)

Hey guys,

I have a Silverado SS with a sub box I built for (2) 12's (sealed) a few years back. It is very similar to the subhump units at around .92 air space per speaker. The box is a downfire design.

One of my 12's is torn and I just ordered some Rockford Fogate P1's per a recommendation from a local stereo guy (says they POUND for the $$$'s). I've come to the realization that I prefer the ported box sound. Here is my question:

- Install both 12's (sealed) and run with it or

- Install one 12 and block off the other sub hole and install a port in the blockoff plate

The speakers require:

.70 - 1.80 cu ft ---- Sealed

or 1.79 cu ft --- Ported

Oh, and I have an old school Rockford Fosgate amp (bridged) that I'm pushing them with. Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

I have a Silverado SS with a sub box I built for (2) 12's (sealed) a few years back. It is very similar to the subhump units at around .92 air space per speaker. The box is a downfire design.

One of my 12's is torn and I just ordered some Rockford Fogate P1's per a recommendation from a local stereo guy (says they POUND for the $ s). I've come to the realization that I prefer the ported box sound. Here is my question:

- Install both 12's (sealed) and run with it or

- Install one 12 and block off the other sub hole and install a port in the blockoff plate

The speakers require:

.70 - 1.80 cu ft ---- Sealed

or 1.79 cu ft --- Ported

Oh, and I have an old school Rockford Fosgate amp (bridged) that I'm pushing them with. Thanks guys!

Dude what Rockford Fosgate amp is it? I used to have 2 punch 150's which was the best bang for the buck!!!

I personally like ported boxes too. Before you make it ported you should design it with a program like WinISD (which is free) or bass box pro which costs a little more, but is the best program I have used for designing boxes. Basicly you would enter all of the driver paramaters which you can find on a PDF from Rockford Fosgate's web page, and the cubic feet from the box then you type in what you want to tune it to (tune it to 34hz to get the best frequency response in a silverado cabin) and it wil tell you how long and big to make the port. you will get the best bass response this way!

If you need any more help PM me and I could help you with the program.

One thing though, you may get a little louder with 2 sealed 12's just since you got more cone area.

good luck!

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)

They are 93 vintage. The amp I'm driving the subs with is the Punch 200 (bridged).

I think the sealed setup will work pretty awesome, but I really would like that mirror knocking off bass that a ported box puts out.

So what you are saying is the (2) 12's in the sealed box will be louder, but the single ported 12 will pound harder????

Dude what Rockford Fosgate amp is it? I used to have 2 punch 150's which was the best bang for the buck!!!

I personally like ported boxes too. Before you make it ported you should design it with a program like WinISD (which is free) or bass box pro which costs a little more, but is the best program I have used for designing boxes. Basicly you would enter all of the driver paramaters which you can find on a PDF from Rockford Fosgate's web page, and the cubic feet from the box then you type in what you want to tune it to (tune it to 34hz to get the best frequency response in a silverado cabin) and it wil tell you how long and big to make the port. you will get the best bass response this way!

If you need any more help PM me and I could help you with the program.

One thing though, you may get a little louder with 2 sealed 12's just since you got more cone area.

good luck!

the ported would be quicker and more responsive and the sealed would be a bit slower, but louder. If rock is your thing I would go ported, but if you like rap and hip-hop more I would go with sealed. Basically in my opinion if you love rock that chest pounding bass is the absolute best! you can get that with a sealed box but you would need extra power pushing the woofers to make em quicker.

Also The optimum and best you can do ported is air the port out the side even though it would look funny. It would be on the opposite side of the sub and it would be a 5" diameter with a 23" long port. that would give you the best possible bass, but if you sacrifice and port it under the seat you would make a 6" long by 3" diameter if possible, I don't know exactly how much depth you have to play with... so the down firing port may have to be a bit shorter.

hope that helps

you can keep both 12's and still port it look on to doing a slot port where the port will come out the center of the box right in between both subs I seen a box like this on the net some where for sale

a ported box doesn't always perform as good as a sealed box. in fact if you like fast bass music a ported box will be no where close to being able to keep up.

you should look at cuttin those holes into a square and puttin in some L5's. they require only .8 cu.ft. and kicker usually performs best in a smaller box.

...just my .02 cents

a ported box doesn't always perform as good as a sealed box. in fact if you like fast bass music a ported box will be no where close to being able to keep up.

you should look at cuttin those holes into a square and puttin in some L5's. they require only .8 cu.ft. and kicker usually performs best in a smaller box.

...just my .02 cents

not allways true. i have a 8" l5 in my truck with a ported box. i can hit all notes accept the real low bass. ill put my 8 up against 2 12" in a sealed box any day.

To be honest, I want to feel the bass. I've always had sealed boxes, but I have never been completely satisfied with their performance (probably not done right). My buddy had some speakers in ported boxes and they pounded!!!! I loved listening to alternative style rock in them. For that matter, rap and everything in between! Those were only 8's!!! To be fair they were in a special enclosure (competition style). Each box was huge (probably 24"x24"x36" with long slots (ports) at each end. You couldn't see the speakers. I don't expect results like his, but I would like it at least shake my mirror and buzz my ear drums a little....lol

According to the calculators, I don't have enough air space for (2) 12's ported. Hence the reason I was considering using one 12 and adding a port to the other space after I block it off. Maybe the (2) 12's sealed are better though...........I don't know.

you can keep both 12's and still port it look on to doing a slot port where the port will come out the center of the box right in between both subs I seen a box like this on the net some where for sale

That would work if he either has 2 10's or the 12's allowed a smaller box space.

...just my .02 cents

Basically if you have enough power behind the woofers in a sealed enclosure they will hit really hard, but you still can get them to hit harder in a ported enclosure. If its a box you buy pre made, or something you throw together without the proper knowledge of box design yes it will have sloppy, boomy, distorted bass. But if you take time and design it and understand the resoniate frequencies in your car/ truck you can design a ported box that will far surpass a sealed box in both SPL and sound quality.

not allways true. i have a 8" l5 in my truck with a ported box. i can hit all notes accept the real low bass. ill put my 8 up against 2 12" in a sealed box any day.

Agreed! I dont know your setup, but I know one 8 properly set up will kick ass in our trucks!! I have 4 10's sealed under my back seat and I know 2 ported 10's would sound much better and get louder! I may end up going with 2 6 1/2's under the back seat in a perfect box and it will sound amazing. out of the 15 or so different woofer setups I have had in my truck a 6 1/2" woofer is the quickest bass and best sounding I have ever had! Its all about quality over quantity! sorry for talking too much I'll be quiet now. :crazy:

To be honest, I want to feel the bass. I've always had sealed boxes, but I have never been completely satisfied with their performance (probably not done right). My buddy had some speakers in ported boxes and they pounded!!!! I loved listening to alternative style rock in them. For that matter, rap and everything in between! Those were only 8's!!! To be fair they were in a special enclosure (competition style). Each box was huge (probably 24"x24"x36" with long slots (ports) at each end. You couldn't see the speakers. I don't expect results like his, but I would like it at least shake my mirror and buzz my ear drums a little....lol

According to the calculators, I don't have enough air space for (2) 12's ported. Hence the reason I was considering using one 12 and adding a port to the other space after I block it off. Maybe the (2) 12's sealed are better though...........I don't know.

If you still talk to him I would ask him to help you design the box since he sounds like he knows what he is doing. also like I said I would take a properly designed ported box over a sealed box any day, my vote is 1 12" ported! BTW you orderd the 4 ohm Rockford woofer right, not the 8 ohm one?

That would work if he either has 2 10's or the 12's allowed a smaller box space.

Basically if you have enough power behind the woofers in a sealed enclosure they will hit really hard, but you still can get them to hit harder in a ported enclosure. If its a box you buy pre made, or something you throw together without the proper knowledge of box design yes it will have sloppy, boomy, distorted bass. But if you take time and design it and understand the resoniate frequencies in your car/ truck you can design a ported box that will far surpass a sealed box in both SPL and sound quality.

Agreed! I dont know your setup, but I know one 8 properly set up will kick ass in our trucks!! I have 4 10's sealed under my back seat and I know 2 ported 10's would sound much better and get louder! I may end up going with 2 6 1/2's under the back seat in a perfect box and it will sound amazing. out of the 15 or so different woofer setups I have had in my truck a 6 1/2" woofer is the quickest bass and best sounding I have ever had! Its all about quality over quantity! sorry for talking too much I'll be quiet now. :crazy:

If I can fit 4 10" Jl audio W6 V2's in a slot ported Box in the trunk of a toyota echo he should be able to put 2 12's under the seat in a slot ported box

Wow, I didn't get a notification that their were replies this time---sorry.

Yes, I ordered the 4 ohm units.

That was another question---my amp is an old school (1993ish) Punch 200 that I'm running bridged---sooooo 400 watts? I've been told these amps are under-rated. Is it a problem if I have more power then what those subs are rated as long as I'm not running them 100% all of the time?

Also, I built my box out of 3/4 mdf---glued and screwed all joints, sealed all of the seams with silicone caulk so it is tight. No air leaks. Size is right at .92 per speaker. The one thing I screwed up on was I didn't put a divider in the box so both speakers are in the same air space. Maybe that is a big reason why I'm not 100% happy with the sound quality. Also these speakers look like some basic cheapo woofers. The magnets are tiny!!!! Looks like Rockford Fosgates baseline speakers (the style). They are also from 1993 time frame---brand EW???? IIRC---I tried searching them out on the net and couldn't find anything about them.

I'm thinking that I would be the happiest with the speakers in a ported airspace, but unless someone has a suggestion (the port slots for example) that will work, I probably have to stick with the sealed design for now. It should pound ok from the feedback here.....

P.S. Is that divider necessary? What a PIA to do after the box is built---lol.

Well an update:

Installed the RF P1's and I couldn't be happier! Ported would be idea, but these sound plenty awesome! Come to find out I had a few problems. First I had a loose RCA connection on my XM box that was causing my cutting in and out/basically sounding like shit signal. 2nd, I had a torn woofer. The outside edges that allows the woofer to move in and out was missing about 6" of material!!!! I'm not sure if I overpowered/over extended them or if it was just age. Judging from the feel of the material (it seemed dry rotted) I would say BOTH!!! LMAO.

Just 2 more questions:

1. I have that punch 200 amp bridged right now----will this hurt these speakers?

2. Do I have to have the divider in the box to separate the speaker chambers?

I did some research on I found this link (see pg 5 of link below) that seems to say I don't. Thanks again guys for the support! Later.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/encl...osure_v2002.pdf