Speedo Problem?

rick024

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the speedometer sticking. It has happend a few times now. It appears that the needle sticks while I am decelerating and then continues from where it stopped when I accelerate again. (I.e. It may stick at 70 as I slow to 50. When I accelerate back to 70 it will be reading 90.) It seems to happen on the interstate while on long trips. Usually pegging the speedo over 125. The needle resets after a dozen restarts since the system seems to rewind a bit each time the truck is started. Any info is appreciated!

It sounds like you have bad speedo stepper motor. Gm has extended the warranty on the entire cluster for problems like this for 7 years or 70K.

Thanks. I will talk to my dealer and see what they will do for me. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

My dealer just told me the TSB is only on the 03 and 04 SSS.

My 05 was not eligible and just found out my ext warranty is up so I told them to back it out and don't touch a thing.

That was my last trip to a GM dealer EVER if I can help it. ;)

I had mine go out @ 90k miles and it cost $430 or something close to that to have it replaced at the dealership. They said I could contact GM to see about reimbursement. I did and may have mentioned that there was a "class-action lawsuit" to extend the warranty further. Long story short they sent me a check for what I paid and the rest is history. So it is possible to get GM to cover the repair after the 70k extension. :thumbs:

Or you can go on ebay and there is a seller there who rebuilds the entire cluster with all 6 new stepper motors and warranties them for life for $70.

Seller ate1234

http://myworld.ebay.com/ate1234/

If I have my way no GM dealership will ever touch my truck again.

In fact, since they no longer sell a damn thing I would drive I would be fine if I never set foot in another GM dealer period.

I don't think I will gamble my money and time that GM may or may not come back and refund my $430 at a later date.

This is the last GM truck I am ever buying. :)

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the speedometer sticking. It has happend a few times now. It appears that the needle sticks while I am decelerating and then continues from where it stopped when I accelerate again. (I.e. It may stick at 70 as I slow to 50. When I accelerate back to 70 it will be reading 90.) It seems to happen on the interstate while on long trips. Usually pegging the speedo over 125. The needle resets after a dozen restarts since the system seems to rewind a bit each time the truck is started. Any info is appreciated!

Mine did kinda the same thing. It just would not come back to zero so every time you stopped you would start off at the fastest speed I went. Then it would peg out and be stuck. I got a new cluster for $225 from the dealer. It was realy easy to change my self. Mine is an 05 ss.