Lose So Much Torque!

fastsspr

I know what he's talking about. After I installed the Magnaflow #12468 on my SS I thought the low end wasn't as responsive also (Didn't pull as hard on take off's) . I figured it was due to less back pressure...

After I got the Blackbear tune all that was resolved :D

Get a custome tune fastsspr :cheers:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put a Magnaflow 12599 dual 3" in/out with internal X pipe on my SS. I used the stock tailpipe and tip, but had to do some cutting and welding to get it to look stock. I also noticed a lag on the low end, but at 3 grand and up it pulled alot harder. I also noticed a drop of 200 rpms at 55mph with it. I had a custom tune done and it resolved most of the low end but still a little lag. I also had the torque mgt dropped 50% so that may be the reason for the better low end too. In my opinion it sounds great, pulls great for a daily driver and if you want to snap your neck at launch your going to need more than an exhaust.

I know what he's talking about. After I installed the Magnaflow #12468 on my SS I thought the low end wasn't as responsive also (Didn't pull as hard on take off's) . I figured it was due to less back pressure...

dude is awesome

I just put a Magnaflow 12599 dual 3" in/out with internal X pipe on my SS. I used the stock tailpipe and tip, but had to do some cutting and welding to get it to look stock. I also noticed a lag on the low end, but at 3 grand and up it pulled alot harder. I also noticed a drop of 200 rpms at 55mph with it. I had a custom tune done and it resolved most of the low end but still a little lag. I also had the torque mgt dropped 50% so that may be the reason for the better low end too. In my opinion it sounds great, pulls great for a daily driver and if you want to snap your neck at launch your going to need more than an exhaust.

:confused:

I really don't know. I asked a guy that owns a performance muffler shop and he said he had another guy with a magnaflow come in and say the same thing. At 60mph with no wind i'm running between 1600 and 1700 rpms. I only had the truck for 2 weeks before I put the muffler on and wind may have been a little different but I know it's lower now.

I contacted Magnaflow to see why my rpms may have dropped and the guy came to a conclusion that my old stock exhaust with 120k miles on it was restricting my exhaust flow. He said that the old rpm may have been higher cause of the motor having to expel the gasses at a higher pressure, and with a free flowing exhaust the motor don't have to work as hard to expel the gases.

My take on this is the following........first off, you need a custom tune. Not only will you get more power from one, but you may pick up a couple MPG too. Second issue I think is that you need an X-pipe to equalize the exhaust pressure, it will help the poor sound and performance you feel. Third, I feel that 3" pipe is too much for a near stock truck IMO. Again, IMO I do not see the need for dual 3" unless you are blown, spraying, or making mega HP.....2-1/2" is more then sufficent in most cases.

where do u get a custom tune.

KICK ASS SIG TZER!!!

Borla/GMPP...

Edited by cadillacbob (see edit history)

Hi man disagree with you man because i not need a dyno for a simple thing like this one.I had my truck from the last 3 years i both it new and i know it feels like. I notice that the power band was moved up.From my first car in 1989 and iroc z until today i modded all my cars to a point that the slows one ran 12s and the faster that i have ran in the 9s.So I'm very familiar with noise and spped.The thing is that probably the cam GM put on those trucks need some back pressure to move from the stop line a vehicle that heavy like my truck.But im so surprice with source a diference at low speed. The thing that it was only the muffler what if i change all the exhaust sistem!!!!!

not trying to be rude here, but could you please read your post before you hit submit. Reading your post gave me a headache. Try to use proper spelling and grammar please.

BTW you are probably losing a bit of low end torque with the new exhaust, but I'm sure you did gain it up top. Add a nice converter and tune and it will be a ton of fun to drive, and yes even for a D.D.

Let me get this strait...Magnaflow install torque loose but dyno a no go but you just know you know. Thinks need less flow to more go get sure. Noise favorite not either but worse had have you so live with it can you. Perhaps solve problem you flowmaster cause crap they flow like.