P0128 Low Engine Temp Code

Cramer

Hey guys I just got my crank relearn done on the SSS and the dealer told me that it has a P0128 Low Engine Temp code on it. I installed a 160* t-stat, about 2 weeks ago, and had a tuned PCM done with that included in it. My engine temp is always between 170* and 185*. The guy at the dealership told me that it should run around 240*. That can't be true cause mine only ran about 210* with the factory t-stat in it. If anyone can help me with the possible cause of the code i'd appreciate it.

the dealer is a idiot. You will only get that code if the t-stat is stuck open or you arent running one at all...

LOL! My thoughts exactly. Your engine temps with your 160* thermo are right where they should be. If your temperature sensor is acting up, you could in theory throw this code as well. The sensor is in the driver's side head (front side, nearest the front of the truck) however your temps seem perfectly normal for a 160 thermo. I would personally clear the code (probably been in the history for some time anyway) and run her.

the dealer is a idiot. You will only get that code if the t-stat is stuck open or you arent running one at all...

I thought the same thing, then I went out to my truck to make sure the temps of my truck were what I thought and that I wasn't an idiot. The t-stat is only around 2 weeks old, and the system was purged. I did run the 160* stat for about a week and a half before I got the new tune. Im not worried about it as long as it won't kill the motor. Thanks for the help all.

Whether you tune for it or not you shouldn't get that code unless the thermostat is sticking. That code is for a slow heating up. There are spec's for how fast the motor heats up and a minimum engine temp (I believe it's around 140 degrees) that will set the code. Just installing a 160 stat in a stock truck won't set that code off. A few of my customers have ran the 160 stat even in the winter and never had that code set without it being turned off.

after I had the crank relearn done the light went off obvioulsy. I was driving to work the other day and it came on again. Well two days later it went back off. It might be sticking occasionally IDK.