Welding Stainless

Joel Blair

I have finally given up on trying to fix my exhaust leak with clamps in the pipe given with my headers and have decided to just go ahead and weld the slip-fit joint together. So my question is, what type of welding rod would be best to use to weld the stainless? Or, is it possible to weld stainless with a regular mig welding wire?

If possible, the rod would be my first choice simply because I have an arc welder and would have to borrow a mig machine.

Thanks

I have finally given up on trying to fix my exhaust leak with clamps in the pipe given with my headers and have decided to just go ahead and weld the slip-fit joint together. So my question is, what type of welding rod would be best to use to weld the stainless? Or, is it possible to weld stainless with a regular mig welding wire?

If possible, the rod would be my first choice simply because I have an arc welder and would have to borrow a mig machine.

Thanks

you can get SS mig wire. imo i would mig it, it will look cleaner and you can turn the volage down alot to weld up the thin piping. imo stick is overkill and youll burn through pretty easy , also welding the top side will be tougher with a stick.

mig would be my choice between the two choices.....For the main reason is stainles stick rod is meant for a flat postion..with out a lot of experience you would never make it around a piece of pipe with stick rod...stainless rod is like water....I used to do this for a living..pipe and pressure vessel welding...The novice can use mig some what easily.

I'm going to have to agree with the other guy's on this one. GMAW (mig) is going to be easier for a beginer by far. GTAW (tig) would more than likely look better and would be my choice, but unless you have an electric machine w/thumb start, exhaust tubing will be very easy to burn through. While it can be done with a gas machine, you will have to learn a new deffinition of moving fast to keep from burning through. Every time we take welders used to welding pipe and have to weld food grade tubing, we have hell for a day or two waiting on them to learn to grab a new gear! Also like was mentioned, don't try and use SMAW (stick) and most of all, if you don't have what you need to do it yourself or used to working with thin wall tubing, find a local shop that can do it for you. Of course with the current economy, you probably have a rig welder next door that's setting at home!