Wacky Climate Control

Fireman31

I had a strange occurence with SS's climate control yesterday, now it is a constant problem. Yesterday morning on the way to work, I had the defroster on low because it was a cool foggy morning. I was about 5 minutes from the office when the blower kicked into high speed and changed position to the dash vents for about 2 seconds, then went back to the position I had it set for....weird. :uhoh:

On the way home yesterday, I had the AC on low blowing out of the floor vents. I turned the blower speed to high just for sh*ts and giggles when I got home and changed the position to the dash vents, and nothing happened. I shut the truck off, and the defroster came on full blast on its own, with the door open and the key out and wouldn't shut off. I had to cycle the ignition and start the truck to get it to shut off. On my way to work today I had the defroster on again, I have no blower speeds at all now, but could feel air coming out of the defrost vent, but could not get anything out of the dash or floor. :freak:

I know the AC compressor is working, since I can hear it kicking on and off, and one of the two e-fans kicks on. The digital climate control panel operates as normal too. I do not hear the blower motor coming on.....

My thinking is that the blower motor itself bit the big one, which really sucks since money is tight. I just put new spark plugs in this past weekend, and I do not recall bumping anything under the hood. I also did a TB service and reset the battery to clear the common high idle issue afterwards.

What do you guys think is happening? :banghead:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

That's worse than the issue I had when all it would do was blow out of the defroster vents regardless of the selected setting. When I get home tonight, I'll see if I can find the paperwork on what they replaced. And it only took them a week! :shakehead:

Well, I found the problem, GM put a TSB out on this problem 2-1/2 years ago :ughdance: .......

Bulletin No.: 05-01-38-012C

Date: November 02, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:

EI05082 - Loss of Blower Motor Speeds Except for Low Speed or Inoperative (Replace Blower Motor Resistor and Resistor Module Connector)

Models:

2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

2004-2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

with HVAC System AC Front, Manual Temp Control (RPO CJ3) or Heater Only (RPO C42)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-012B (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the blower will only work on low speeds or has become inoperative.

Correction

REPLACE THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND RESISTOR MODULE CONNECTOR.

Replace the blower motor resistor and module connector using the following procedure:

Remove the blower fuse.

Fullsize Trucks and Utility Vehicles - Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses

Midsize Utility Vehicles - Blower Fuse 35 located in the Underhood Fuse Block

Lower the hush panel or close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.

Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.

Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.

Tip

Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.

Install new blower motor resistor.

Reinstall the fuse or connector block. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.

Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.

glad you found the problem.. :cheers:

now mine is acting up. :banghead:

changed my battery out, and now the AC not coming on, recirculate not working, also my vent controls, and rear defroster. checked all fuses i can find all good..

any help :sigh:

:seeya:

up date...

just disconnected the battery for 15 sec. hooked it back up and all fine.. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

That's worse than the issue I had when all it would do was blow out of the defroster vents regardless of the selected setting. When I get home tonight, I'll see if I can find the paperwork on what they replaced. And it only took them a week! :shakehead:

I went home and looked up my work order, and it wouldn't have helped you anyway. All it said was "Mode door problem", and "Ordered part". No part numbers, or further description of the issue. I'm glad you found it. Hope the fix doesn't cost a fortune. :chevy:

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

Dan, that bullitien only refers to the speeds right? I dont know if that will fix the problems with it switching from vents, etc. The speed issue could def be the common resistor problem, but I have never seen it cause some of your other conditions. Let me know how you make out.

Rob

Dan, that bullitien only refers to the speeds right? I dont know if that will fix the problems with it switching from vents, etc. The speed issue could def be the common resistor problem, but I have never seen it cause some of your other conditions. Let me know how you make out.

Rob

I don't think it is a blend door issue.....with the CC turned on, when I change vent positions on the highway, i can feel the incoming air change positions too. When parked I can here the blend door actuator changing positions.......the sudden surge I had was probably the resistor burning out. I have no blower speeds at all, that is really the issue.....

I have no blower speeds at all, that is really the issue.....

Oh ok. Yes that is def a resistor. You may or may not need the pig tail connector. Depends on if the resistor burned it up. Let me know if you need part #'s on anything.

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I could of told you that :P

Same EXACT thing happened to my yukon... resolution..

REPLACE THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND RESISTOR MODULE CONNECTOR. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE -

I replaced the blower resistor, all is well now. I did not need to replace the pigtail and connector since the original was okay. If anyone else has this issue, DO NOT go by the part numbers provided in the TSB, they are not correct.

The proper resistor was GM part # 89018778( $132 :mad: ), I am not sure if it is the same for all model years.....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)