Gaylord Lid Photo Gallery

I CORNER

Yes. I checked and they were gone. Don't know if I "bitched" that much. I sent them the single email asking "what was up with that" and mentioned the lid bowing under heat expansion issue. Then I re-sent it to them a week later. Still no email response from them, but it is obvious that they read it.

Regarding the photos, I just did not appreciate NOT being asked. They knew who I was, as I had previously asked them to provide a missing light kit and asked them about electric locks. I was hoping that they would reimburse me for the Non-SSS tailgate cap that I bought and had painted, as they said that the X2000 would never fit over the SSS tailgate cap. They were dead wrong on that one.

As for the bowing, my cover returns to normal flat surface when it cools down. It seems rock solid even when it is bowed (approx 1/2" to 1" up in the center over the length of the lid front-to-back and side-to-side). Don't know if RDSS is worse, but his photos look pretty close to mine.

Don't know how unusual this bowing is. The only other hard tonneau that I had was a Leer on a Toyota mini-truck. It was much lower quality and VERY heavy for a mini-truck lid. And it did not have any carpet or light kit and used a narrow piano hinge. I skinned my knuckles several times on the raw rough fiberglass finish on the underside. Given its extra thickness/weight, I know it did not bow.

The warranty for the X2000 says "Limited Lifetime Warranty" on the fiberglass and paint finish. The hardware is warrantied for 2 years. So if I can get them to define in writing what "Limited" means, I should be covered for as long as I own the truck, if the fiberglass or paint were to crack due to this heat expansion flexing.

Given that rubber bumpers, plastic body panels and even SSS floppy roofs flex without cracking paint, maybe this OK. I just wanted some assurance in writing. I am a reasonable guy.

Rick R

Brad,

The cover uses 2 manual locks. They use circular keys. They are unsual in that the hold-down tabs rotate 90 degrees first. The second 90 degrees of key rotation then pulls the tabs up axially towards the key cylinder to pull the cover down tight onto the bed rails. They work well, but I would still like electric locks that have a failsafe.

Rick R

Archived