Please Help Me Decide Between This Two

Alright so i got 2 cams that i can decide between. i got the LPE GT2-3 and a Texas-speed cam. Which one do yall think will work best with my setup..Im planning on keeping the Procharger and in the future upgrade with a D1sc or a smaller pulley. This is my daily driver most of the time.

Specs:

Texas-speed cam

100708_122230.jpg

Specs:

LPE GT2-3

207/220 .571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5

Please help. ill be doing it sunday

Edited by ss04flores (see edit history)

The GT2-3 is a purpose-built forced-induction cam; problem is, the valve events are optimized for a positive-displacement blower (Radix or TVS) while maintaining exact same idle as stock and passing CA smog (taipipe sniffer) - this cam also increases mileage 1-2 mpg when combined with a positive-displacement blower and makes about 500rwhp. The GT2-3 is IMO a 'corporate' cam with all the passion and excitement of a wet dish rag.

The TSP 224 cam you show will make more power than the GT2-3, I would expect about 550-575 rwhp but the valve events are not optimized for use with a centrifugal, I would not install that cam with an ATI or Vortech head unit.

If you want off-the-shelf centrifugal cam, Comp has one featuring XER lobes 224/230 .58x/.59x on a 114+2 that I would install, it would be a good 40hp more than the TSP 224 cam IMO.

GET GOOD PUSHRODS and springs; spend $99.99 and one-at-a-time replace the rod botls with ARP bolts; install a hi-rev kit in the transmission; spin that baby to the moon :driving:

My 2-cents - double-check my opinions before buying!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Thank you MR P. You're awesome! i did install the gt2-3 but since it didn't install the timing belt cover i wanted to make sure. So just to make sure you mention its designed for positive displacement sc? I know the ATI isn't PD. So you wouldn't recommend this cam with the procharger either? sorry just trying to clear things up

I did get good pushrods and spring.. got the com 988 (I believe that's what they are called) and the com spring with the blue markings

Im also considering this heads lq9 stage III heads

http://summitracing.com/parts/PAR-2019/

Edited by ss04flores (see edit history)

Procharger supercharger systems are made by ATI - ATI & Procharger refer to the same thing.

Saying all 224 cams are the same is like saying all 5'2" blondes are the same. :nono:

You have to think of airflow in an engine in terms of pressure differentials - in other words, the DIFFERENCE between pressure in the intake vs. combustion chamber, or difference between the exhaust vs. combustion chamber at any given moment in the 4-stroke cycle. The pressure differentials & behaviors that an N/A motor has are very different from a supercharged motor, and totally different from a turbocharged motor; what this means is that a "224 cam" made for a N/A motor will open the intake valve at a very different place (degrees before TDC) compared to a turbo or blower cam even though both cams hold the valve open 224-degrees.

What I am saying is, the GT2-3 will work fine, but you are leaving anywhere from 40-75 hp on the table compared to a cam with the intake & exhaust events optimized for use with a centrifugal supercharger.

Ported 317 heads - hard call to make. Ported 317 heads will perform dang-near almost as well as ported 243 LS2 heads. But look at it this way - you can put $1300 into a set of 317 heads to get them a little better than a set of L92s, or put the same $1300 into a set of L92s and have a head flowing almost as well as some very high-dollar all-out competition cylinder heads. You are right for considering ported heads, the intake port is even MORE critical on a supercharged motor than an N/A one.

Mr. P.

You want to know one of the BEST advantages to running a Centrifugal - you can cam the SNOT out of the motor :devil: I'm not talking 'rowdy' I mean downright radical. One of my absolute faves is Perry Draco's yellow c6 SOB -

:lol: fast-forward 30-secs into the vid :driving: Love big cams. :wub:

Mr. P. :)

Wow are those two completely different cams. The GT2-3 cam is a very good cam for a blower setup, but is a bit low on duration. The 224 Texas Speed cam is more of an N/A cam. When using a blower the exhaust side is more important than the intake side for overall duration. There would likely be a 20-30RWHP difference in the two cams, but in drivability you'd have one that would idle like it were stock and one that will have some chop to it. If I had to pick between those two I'd go with the GT2-3. It's an odd choice for a Procharger, but it will work fine and be an improvement over stock for sure. I agree with Mr. P in that you can run more cam with a centrifugal, but that is only if they can support the airflow difference. A P1SC and a 6.0L, not alot of room to grow. You also have to be carefull chosing them for shift point reasons.

Thank you for clearing things up guys...i understand there is a better choice out there but ill got with the lpe for now. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt picking the wrong cam. i did get the texas-speed cam when i was considering going N/A but then i got the extra cash and got the procharger. As for choppy sound im not worried about it. Would be nice but not sweating it. So ill get her back running when the heads get here and let yall know the results. Time to blow S&!T up! lol any last minute advice or mod i can add while im in there..????