Power Capacitor

Does any one use a power cap on their stereo? If so, did it benefit?

The reason I ask is because it seems like my stereo has an inconsistency of power. Sometimes it hits hard, sometimes it doesn't.

save your money and buy an alternator. if you have done that, then upgrade the "big 3" under the hood.

save your money and buy an alternator. if you have done that, then upgrade the "big 3" under the hood.

I agree with Chris on this one. Caps are for show IMO and the only real benifit is their ability to "filter" the A/C ripple from your alt.

Do you think that the alternator would be my problem with the inconsistancy of power/sound? It is the orginal alt. and my truck has 115,000 miles.

The only amp hooked up is a 500/1 JBL Crown series amp. It is powering a brand new JL W3.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

Do you think that the alternator would be my problem with the inconsistancy of power/sound? It is the orginal alt. and my truck has 115,000 miles.

The only amp hooked up is a 500/1 JBL Crown series amp. It is powering a brand new JL W3.

I would say right now you problem is the cheesy 6 gauge charging lead that GM put on our trucks. do the upgrade under the hood. you will see a difference. then a new alternator and battery.

is it the original battery? if so, SWAP THAT ASAP!

big 3 ftw.

and you may not have a problem at all. bc i know my system does that to me, but i ask others and they say its just me.

but yes as said, bigger alt, and better battery. maybe even two batteries.

2 batteries for that single amp? that will just tax the alternator more and cause more problems. steer clear of dual batteries unless you are ready for some extreme power needs. a good underhood battery, and the big 3 and you will be all set. let me know how it turns out! :):cheers:

I would say right now you problem is the cheesy 6 gauge charging lead that GM put on our trucks. do the upgrade under the hood. you will see a difference. then a new alternator and battery.

is it the original battery? if so, SWAP THAT ASAP!

I have never heard of the "big 3" ??

Also, I do have newer yellow top battery.

I have never heard of the "big 3" ??

Also, I do have newer yellow top battery.

never...wow

i think someone here did a before an after comparison...let me see if i can dig it up.

here is one...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...56&hl=big+3

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

never...wow

i think someone here did a before an after comparison...let me see if i can dig it up.

here is one...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...56&hl=big+3

Awesome!!!

Thanks Alan.

I really think this is going to help. I know my stereo has more potential. It just doesn't hold the low bass notes anymore.

Question:

If I would upgrade my alt. do you think I could avoid doing "the big three"? I just seem sketched out about all of the extra wires in my engine bay.

Chris, if you have done the big 3, would you happen to have a picture of how you did it?

Thanks for you help.

You could have the same problem I am having with mind my amp can't handle a 1 ohm load so it kicks out some times. If this is the case then you have to buy a different amp that can handle a 1 ohm load u don't need bigger alt or battery I use to have a 2000 toyota echo with stock alt and battery with 5 amps 2 1 farad caps and 4 10" Jl audio W6 V2's and no problems at all hit 142 constant

Ur better off to get a battcap because a capaciter has to recharge itself each time its used. A battcap get charged the entire time while the main car battery gets charged. Plus u can turn ur on switch to on and run ur stereo longer without it effecting ur main batt as much. They arent all that much diff in price than a decent capaciter.

you know what? since I have been reading the un educated responses in here, it shows me how much everyone elses opinions are colored due to what they hear.

a power cap needs to be recharged everytime you use it? where did you get this from? so do batteries! its just that caps recharge quicker and release their stored current quicker than a battery can. thats why they are so beneficial.

I am NOT saying my answer is 100% correct but what i am saying is upgrade the obvious. the inexpensive. you can add a 300amp alternator, 14 batteries, 100 farad caps, and it will still dim the lights. the charging system on our trucks is just enought to do what the trucks have in them. yes some vehicles will work fine on their factory 50 amp alternators for a while. but soon enough they will get tired and stop putting out (like an old married wife :jester: ) the charging leads on our trucks is so easy to upgrade. i just did one in a blue ss this past weekend in under and hour and it looks badass.

0 gauge from the alternator stud to the battery charging lead

0 gauge from the alternator bracket bolt to the battery

0 gauge from the battery down to the frame rail

0 gauge from the battery to the amplifier locations.

here is a link, take a look! http://silveradoss.net/default.aspx?g=post...m=1839#post1839