Pics & Vid - Brag & Drag At Tms

misterp

You guys MISSED OUT.

Last night was the FIRST EVER drag races at Texas Motor Speedway; Michael (Pimp SS) and I were there :D They had a car show at 6pm and then at 8:30 everyone that was entered in the car show was treated to 2 parade laps on the track :badass: I have wanted to drive around the tri-oval for years, and I was very excited to finally be able to pass the wheel-fence and enter the track but let me tell you the first 20-seconds of driving you're like 'Wow this is F'n Cool' and then the track abruptly banks upwards into turn-1 and you are like 'Holy Sh!t!!!' because it's so steep you can feel the truck wanting to slide downwards like you are driving around the side of a mixing bowl, you look out the passenger's window and only see the sky; Misty and the kids were grabbing onto the seats and anything else within reach in the truck to get higher ground lol. The banking was so steep that several of the cars in the parade were quickly forced to leave the parade lap because of lost oil pressure and/or their carburators could not handle being basically tipped on their sides 35-degrees. :crazy: I wanna do it again! The truck was begging to go faster than the 25-mph pace car. :driving:

The arm-drop street racing started at 9pm. The event was sponsored by the local Scion dealers, so the races were organized into a couple tuner classes (*yawn* mostly) and a 'sportsman' class (all the rest of us). The races were on pit lane :double_badass: so we got to stand behind the pit-lane barricade as they arm-dropped the cars. There was no timing system, they put a checkered-flag 1/4-mile down the pit lane and the first to the flag advanced to the next round. There was ZERO track prep, it was run what you brung on straight asphault, the couple AWD cars and a couple '65 Mustangs that could hook on drag radials, and about 3 Super Snakes who showed-up totally cleaned house because of the traction advantage. Speaking of the Super Snakes, when you see one in action *wow* those cars are brutal on the street. But, everyone else had major traction issues. A SSS with a blower or big shot of nitrous could REALLY clean house here (hint hint :devil:).

It cost $20 to enter the show, another $10 to race. Texas Motor Speedway is continuing this every Friday night until mid-August.

On to the Pics!

The car show was held in the infield pit garage at the Texas Motor Speedway :cool:

_DSC0129.jpg

The Pimp SS - yes it is daily driven, Mike is the original owner and his truck has 70K on the odometer;

I promise you there is not so much as a blemish on the ORIGINAL finish of this truck. :pimp:

_DSC0123.jpg

The interior of the Pimp SS - note accents in door panels, seat inserts, console video, headliner, LEDs, and so much more I know I am forgetting to mention!

_DSC0128.jpg

This old Chevy caught my eye, I am pretty sure it was awarded a plaque too. But what got me to really looking was the LSx swap.

_DSC0130.jpg

Check out that intake and throttle body, and the relocated coils. :thumbs: I'm getting ideas...

_DSC0131.jpg

This old Chevy longbed caught everyone's eye, I mean the fact it's sitting on the floor screams for your attention lol. But from a distance with the hood open you don't see an engine!!

_DSC0138.jpg

So I walk over and it's running a LSx motor dropped so far down into the frame I think the oil pan is sitting on the concrete too!! And this rig positively hauled balls, it was racing about half the night.

_DSC0139.jpg

Time for the parade lap! I was absolutely STOKED! :drool: We lined-up behind Mike and followed the Pimp SS around the track.

_DSC0144.jpg

One of my favorite pictures, Pimp SS at the start/finish line at Texas Motor Speedway.

_DSC0150.jpg

(CLICK ON PIC TO SEE THE VIDEO) Coming out of Turn 2; I had NO IDEA these turns were banked as high as they are - the slope is so steep that you cannot walk up the track from the bottom of the apron to the crash wall, you have to crawl on your hands and knees. :sick:

_DSC0146.jpg

A couple Jersey barriers were set at the entrace to pit lane as the start line for the drag racing.

_DSC0149.jpg

(CLICK ON PIC TO SEE THE VIDEO) The races were arm-drop start, on bare asphault (no VHT!). Pimp SS got the misfortune of being lined-up against a Shelby Super Snake (GT500KR) for his first race, it got ugly quick after the Snake driver finally put his toe into the throttle 20-ft out!

_DSC0201.jpg

The trucks were left parked in the garage while we watched the fireworks outside.

_DSC0203.jpg

I told everyone, I'm definitely going back and this next time we're racing!

Mr. P. :)

damn I hope i can make one of these...I dunno how I would at the track with no sticky layed down...Michael will tell ya last month we ran at a track with zero prep and the ebst I could do was a 8.2...I just could not get off the line with out spinning the tires.

ofcourse I ddint see how much the stang beat Michael..I still probably could have hung with him and if not just pilled up..lol

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

Looked like a good time.

next time something like this is going on, someone tell me!

Theirs gonna be a cruise from Houston to Kemah, alot of trucks will be their, you and any other houston members should come out.

Click

It was fun and brad as far as hanging with the mustang not sure if you have seen carrol shelby on tv talking about his 700 hp super snake but I don't think even your truck would hang but it would be fun to see my favorite part about last noight was driving around the track and then on the way out we stopped in the tunnel and gave it hell and the guy at the gate was giving us thumbs up on the way through ill be going back for the next 5 friday nights any body else wanna come please do sweet pics steve

Just wanted to add by the way that blue thunder does have 84,000 miles on it now and still going strong and there were 3 new camaro,s last night the one I was talking to said his car was 1 month old and he took it on the power tour last month it had 4'700 miles already it was bad ass dark blue ss with silver stripes

It was fun and brad as far as hanging with the mustang not sure if you have seen carrol shelby on tv talking about his 700 hp super snake but I don't think even your truck would hang but it would be fun to see my favorite part about last noight was driving around the track and then on the way out we stopped in the tunnel and gave it hell and the guy at the gate was giving us thumbs up on the way through ill be going back for the next 5 friday nights any body else wanna come please do sweet pics steve

Cool...I didnt get to see how the race ended..It just looked at first like he wasn't pulling on you any harder than I did.

You guys MISSED OUT.

A SSS with a blower or big shot of nitrous could REALLY clean house here (hint hint :devil:).

you trying to tempt me and brad steve. by the way brad i wanna run you again its been too long.

mike the the truck looked good on the track. when i drove a wrecker for nascar i was begging for a chance to go around the track in my truck, but no dice. i did get to take the international towtruck around the track for 30 minutes of laps at 75 to help dry the track off though does feel safe in that big truck if you dip below 60 in the corner