Vic Jr Vs. Fast

Intake Manifold?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would yall choose for a N.A./Sprayed setup

• Vic Jr with 90
    • FAST with 90 or 92

Which one would yall go with? I'm gonna go with a built tranny, tranny cooler, 3600+ stall, custom grind cam, ls6 heads, lifters, intake mani., tb, low temp t-stat

then a 125-150 wet shot later

I forgot LS6 intake.

Edited by 03_SS_22 (see edit history)

Which one would yall go with? I'm gonna go with a built tranny, tranny cooler, 3600+ stall, custom grind cam, ls6 heads, lifters, intake mani., tb, low temp t-stat

then a 125-150 wet shot later

I forgot LS6 intake.

neither. Maybe edelbrock intake but I kinda miss my stock lq9 intake

milling the heads is pretty easy , a decent machine shop should be able to handle it , just make sure to check for ptv clearance.

that would make for a nice n/a nitrous setup for sure.

milling the heads is pretty easy , a decent machine shop should be able to handle it , just make sure to check for ptv clearance.

that would make for a nice n/a nitrous setup for sure.

how much would you mill them? i know the 243 ls6 heads are 64cc chambers that will make my motor 11:1 right? how about with .040 cometic gaskets for a little bit better quench and more compression.

how much would you mill them? i know the 243 ls6 heads are 64cc chambers that will make my motor 11:1 right? how about with .040 cometic gaskets for a little bit better quench and more compression.

on a lq9 i milled my l92 heads .015 using a .040 gasket to achieve 11:1 cr. without any PTV issues using a .600 + cam

If you stay with the cathedral port heads I'd go with the Fast over the Vic Jr. Unless you're boosting or planning to go to a 6.7L or bigger the Vic Jr. isn't going to be a gain over the Fast.

• 8 months later...

These intake threads keep me up way too late.. I'm in the process of building a 408 stroker and I will be using my Vortech si-trim blower. Besides relocating the IAT sensor to the boosted side, upgrading to dual Walbro fuel pumps, etc...I want to make sure to avoid the infamous 7th cylinder failure. My build also includes ls6 ported heads, dished piston, and the cam is a comp cam with specs XR269HR...216/220 .525/.532.

My question is- is it worth replacing the stock truck manifold to a Vic Jr. or the Ls6 for my build? I'm not going the FAST route bc of the lack of affordability. I found the thread on ls1truck for the ls6 intake swap, and the amount of work for the swap, although not bad, makes me want to try something easier. Would the Vic. Jr. intake add quality #s to my build and add insurance to prevent lean cylinder failure? Lastly, exactly what other mods/parts do I need to make the truck to edelbrock intake swap complete?

Edited by 04lightsss (see edit history)

These intake threads keep me up way too late.. I'm in the process of building a 408 stroker and I will be using my Vortech si-trim blower. Besides relocating the IAT sensor to the boosted side, upgrading to dual Walbro fuel pumps, etc...I want to make sure to avoid the infamous 7th cylinder failure. My build also includes ls6 ported heads, dished piston, and the cam is a comp cam with specs XR269HR...216/220 .525/.532.

My question is- is it worth replacing the stock truck manifold to a Vic Jr. or the Ls6 for my build? I'm not going the FAST route bc of the lack of affordability. I found the thread on ls1truck for the ls6 intake swap, and the amount of work for the swap, although not bad, makes me want to try something easier. Would the Vic. Jr. intake add quality #s to my build and add insurance to prevent lean cylinder failure? Lastly, exactly what other mods/parts do I need to make the truck to edelbrock intake swap complete?

the truck to edelbrock will be the easiest as you wont have to change your water pump or accesories to match the car style intake. with the edelbrock you will need an elbow that will allow you to palce your TB in the same place as the stock manifold. Edelbrock can provide it. you will also need to tab it and run a few vacuum barbs for your vacuum lines, but that is easy and you can route the vacuum lines to anywhere you want. check out chases vic jr manifold install, he documented it well.

the 7 cylinder meltdown has a few theories as to why it happens, 1. coolent flow and 2. intake design, there really is no conclusive evidence as to what causes it. even ls1 with car intakemanifolds melt down #7

the truck to edelbrock will be the easiest as you wont have to change your water pump or accesories to match the car style intake. with the edelbrock you will need an elbow that will allow you to palce your TB in the same place as the stock manifold. Edelbrock can provide it. you will also need to tab it and run a few vacuum barbs for your vacuum lines, but that is easy and you can route the vacuum lines to anywhere you want. check out chases vic jr manifold install, he documented it well.

the 7 cylinder meltdown has a few theories as to why it happens, 1. coolent flow and 2. intake design, there really is no conclusive evidence as to what causes it. even ls1 with car intakemanifolds melt down #7

Thanks- your response is helpful. Although this is hard to estimate, what is your best guess of power gains that I could expect from the truck-->edelbrock swap with my build?

with the vic jr and tuning it, i got 41 hp from the swap. peak went from 5900 to just under 6400. The price really adds up with the fuel rails, braided lines, an fitings, elbow, fuel pressure reg, and adapting to stock fuel lines. however i have heads and a cam that love to breath.

i was told its the coolant jackets that make # 7 go lean.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)