Preparing for first drag strip race

novanet

I have accepted an "invitation" from a co-worker to race at the local dragstrip this coming Friday night (05/07/04). I have never done this before and am not sure what to expect. He has a 2003 hemi quad cab (4 full doors) 2WD with a Jet stage 2 performance chip, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and a single cut-out behind his cat (apparently their exhaust is a little different than ours...). With my list of mods shown below in my sig, I was wondering how everybody thinks I might do against him. Also looking for advice on launching, reading the tree, staging, etc. I would sure appreciate any help as you can probably tell I'm a little unsure as to the best way to go about this, or what my chances are... :confused:

i'd expect you to be 3-4 tenths quicker than him. i'd recomend driving around the water if at all possible. try both lauching the truck off idle and loaded up a bit. the more you allow the engine to cool the quicker it will go so keep that in mind. don't just let it idle in the staging lanes. keep it cool and stand on it.....

Cooling is a big factor. My times drop the cooler I am. You need to get to the track early keep it shut down as long as possible. I have had good luck with higher air pressure in the tires. Drop your spare too maybe the tailgate.

Take your spare off, take your back seat out (takes 5 minutes), take tailgate off (takes 1 minute), try to figure it out so that when you get to the track you have about a 1/4 tank of gas. Drive around the water. Rev to about 2000 rpm's, leave on the last yellow light. As soon as the last yellow light turns on go, otherwise youl have a bad reaction time. Keep your truck off in the staging lanes, give your truck some time to cool off in between races. Good luck :thumbs:

Well, home from the racetrack. We went to Cordova Dragway, in Cordova IL, only 17 miles from my house. My buddy with the Hemi and I raced 5 times. Below are our best times for the night:

Silverado SS-------- Dodge Ram Hemi Q-Cab

R/T-------- .065-------- .253

60'-------- 2.157------- 2.206

330-------- 6.082-------- 6.259

1/8-------- 9.372-------- 9.684

MPH-------- 75.39-------- 72.15

1000-------- 12.214-------- 12.656

1/4-------- 14.665-------- 15.255

MPH-------- 91.53-------- 85.94

I had a blast! Of course it helps that I beat him soundly all 5 times! :jester: Considering this is the first time i've ever set foot in a dragstrip as a driver or spectator, my times were very consistent, never more than 1 tenth difference between all 5 runs. On another note, however, I'm a little dissapointed in how the truck ran. Very consistent, but not as fast as I'd hoped for spending almost $3500.00 in mods. Oh well, guess I gotta get a 3000 stall and a shift kit next...at least I punished that Mopar muscle-truck! :D Any thoughts on improving E/T's or next mods to do? I'd appreciate the input...

I wish i would have read this thread earlier, because i was going to tell you that i thought you would run a 14.6 and you did. Great times, i like the 5 wins part :thumbs:

Hey cheer up about your mods, i went 14.40 @ 94.06 with almost the exact same set-up. So you have a little more in it.

Archived