Check Engine Light Flashing Help!

I was driving my truck down the highway and all of a sudden the check engine light just starts flashing for like 30 seconds? I don't know what to do should I get a code reader, will the code even show up if it's not on anymore? At idle I am getting this damn rattle NOT coming from the top of the motor, mabe the cats I have 83K on the truck?

A flashing CEL signifies a catalyst damaging misfire, and when you see the CEL flashing you are supposed to pull over and shut the truck off immediately or severe engine damage can occur. You need to have the truck scanned to find out what codes it is throwing, but if I had to guess, you are throwing a P0420 or 430 and a P0300. A faulty cat can cause a random misfire, especially if it is almost plugged. The rattle you are hearing is the cat coming apart internally, there is an easy way to figure out which one it is.....slide under the truck and wrap on each cat with a closed fist(when cold of course), if you hear a rattle inside the cat, then it is NFG. This issue is something you need to address ASAP........

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Well I went to advance auto parts this morning they didn't have the spark plugs, and there were no codes to be found. I ordered the spark plugs on summit racing and I will get them next week, but I still have that ridiculous rattle. I hit the cats with my hand when it was cold an got nothing no rattle. I don't Know what to do at this point???

Well I went to advance auto parts this morning they didn't have the spark plugs, and there were no codes to be found. I ordered the spark plugs on summit racing and I will get them next week, but I still have that ridiculous rattle. I hit the cats with my hand when it was cold an got nothing no rattle. I don't Know what to do at this point???

I have an identical problem to yours and I can't mfigure out what it either. Don't take it to meineke though, Took it there gave me new plugs wires and coil packs $1400.00 later still doesn't work. Does your keep misfireing in early acceleration kind of sounding like its trying to switch gears? :confused:

I have an identical problem to yours and I can't mfigure out what it either. Don't take it to meineke though, Took it there gave me new plugs wires and coil packs $1400.00 later still doesn't work. Does your keep misfireing in early acceleration kind of sounding like its trying to switch gears? :confused:

Take it back! All unnecessary work that you paid for, especially if the problem is still there, sounds like they don't have a clue what is wrong. I would demand my money back, or demand that they correct the problem F.O.C. It is damn near impossible for all 8 coil packs on an LS motor to go bad, unless the truck was under 5 feet of water. What codes did your truck throw? If you are having a misfire, and your trans is shifting strange, those are common signs of a bad MAF sensor......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

It does it at wide open throttle. then when im at a stop light then it shakes and studders when i start to accelerate how do i fix the maf sensor?

What codes did it throw? Are you still running cats? The only real way to fix the MAF is to replace it. I need to know what codes you threw to have an idea of what is wrong....