X Pipe Or Not?

twiztidss

i currently installed the obx long tube headers with no cats and a magnaflow true dual exhaust on my truck. it has almost every bolt on...cold air intake, throttle body spacer, ported and polished throttle body, wheatley tune, full exhaust, iridium plugs, msd wires. my question is would it be worth it to hack into this stainless steel system to put a magnaflow x pipe or any other x pipe that is stainless? would it make it quiter or would it give it much more torque and hp?? i only want to do it if its worth the time for a significant performance gain. all info is appreciated. thanks in advance.

if you wanna go even a easier route magnaflow makes a crossover muffler, where the X is built into the muffler..

personally i would leave it alone as i personally dont think theres any difference, thus i took out my X pipe and ran straight duals ;)

• 2 weeks later...
There should be a difference?... Tieing the two banks together like that will help exhaust flow (more power).

you would think there would be a difference, but i yet to see any, i tried both and was satisfied with well just true duals without an X pipe, personally an X pipe is like a tornado theres no gains lol.. basically i am sure is depends on pipe size also. i run 3 inch and very satisfied without it ( x pipe ) i personally rhought the X pipe was just for like sound deading or something. wich i did notice it make a difference in sound. but as for numbers its the same :(

If done properly an X pipe will help the scavenging of the exhaust from bank to bank. This is kinda hard to do in our trucks as the exhaust runs down the passenger side of the truck. The drivers side is quite a bit longer on our trucks as it runs around the transmission and over to the passenger side. The X needs to be approximately 24 inches from the collectors and have equal length tubes running into it to be most effective. A properly done X will help balance out the exhaust pulses making more power and a smoother running engine. IMHO its not really worth it due to the routing of the exhaust, but that's my opinion, your results may vary.

There is quite a bit of Science to properly designing a good working X-pipe. They have their advantages, thats one reason all the NASCAR teams use an X configuration in their exhausts.

:flag:

Good question. Im running a very similar exhaust to twiztidss and have pondered putting an X-pipe in. I dont really think it would be worth the work and $ to me (on our trucks anyway). I have QTP dual electric cut-outs and that is definitely worth the work and money. Guess I'll just stay with my current set-up. :chevy:

Edited by ANGRY6LITER (see edit history)