To The Parents On This Site

Holty

Do you or did you have to put your children in daycare? If so, how did you deal with it? My son (4.5months old) has to go to daycare now, today was his first day. I'm sick to my stomach, and cried on my way to work. I hate it. I hate having to put him in daycare so his mother and I can go to work. I hate it more than i've ever hated anything in my entire life. He has to be there for 11hrs a day, she drops him off at 6am and i pick him up at 5pm. We have no other choice, we can't afford to live if we both do not work. I'm sure they treat him ok, but how do i know they are not mean to him when he cries? He sleeps very good at night, but does not nap well during the day and becomes very fussy at times. Are they going to get upset with him and punish him or ignore him? I'm really worked up over this. I'm seriously contemplating selling my truck so we can afford for her to stay home with him for another year or so. Right now she is only working 32hrs a week as an RN, going to school 1 day a week, and does clinical for her doctorate degree 2 days a week. I have a 40hr week job working 7a-4p and work an hour away from home. This is a nightmare and i can't see myself letting him continue in daycare like this, i just hate it. Has anyone ever had to deal with this type of situation and could you give me any advice?

IMG_1735Large.jpg

IMG_1737Large.jpg

im a father of 2 and fortunatly i haven't had to put my kids through day care my wife is a stay at home mom but if i had too i would be asking parents that have there kids in that day care if they are happy with them and how long they have been taking there kids there...etc. . it would be very hard to do that for me also but you got to think that everything will be ok and im sure the day care will treat them fine.

Oh hey guys, thank you very much for the reassuring words. I'm not really concerned with the daycare itself because our best friends have a 13month old that has been going there for awhile now and they are pleased with the facility and the staff.

Edited by Holty (see edit history)

stay the cours, it will get easier. if "home" behavior changes then you may have something negative going on, but i also believe that interaction is good for children of any age. good luck, and watch for deer. :jester:

haha just caught that deer reference lol

I put my daughter through daycare till my dad retired this year and she has a bad attitude now because pap gives her everything. when she was in daycare she couldn't wait 2 go back cause she got to play all day. She was a pistol in the beginning with the crying but she got through it. Hope this helps alittle Josh. hows the truck since summit?

I put my daughter through daycare till my dad retired this year and she has a bad attitude now because pap gives her everything. when she was in daycare she couldn't wait 2 go back cause she got to play all day. She was a pistol in the beginning with the crying but she got through it. Hope this helps alittle Josh. hows the truck since summit?

Thanks Scott, that does help to know that your daughter enjoys going now. How old was she when you first starting taking her? I think him only being 4.5months old is what is really bothering me the most.

i have a 6 month old and am about to do the same but i went day care shopping and got some positive feed back as did you. i think word of mouth is always the best advertisement.

Good luck man, maybe i'm just a big panzy but i'm so upset i'm sick to my stomach.

I am active duty and they have on base daycare which gets inspected alot so it was not that hard to do. She learned alot more and pottie trained faster and was more independent. Was it hard no not really since i was deployed for six months prior to it. The wife was a stay at home mom and was like she is going to daycare i dont care I need a break. I am not going to say it was fun but she was alot better and most of the care providers cared for the kids. they read books to them and when one left they gave each of the kids a book or something. the one she had before we left maine cried when we came to get her the last day.

i have a daughter she will be 10 in sept. when we had to put her in daycare it broke my heart. i knew she would be ok but i just killed me. also when she started school it was just as hard for me.

it is hard at first but after a few weeks it will get easier and life moves on. good luck and if ya need to vent we are here for ya brother

We put my daughter through daycare too. I know exactly what you're feeling. I felt like scum the first day dropping her off. It does get easier. Just have to watch the kid and see how they react to it. My daughter made lots of friends, and had a major step-up on the other kids for kindergarten. She could read a little and even spell some simple words, knew her abc's and could count as high as she wanted. She loved it and cried when she learned she wouldn't be going back anymore. All in all I'd say it was a positive experience for her.

Research has shown that it's quality of time not quantity of time that you spend with your children that matters. So just make sure the time you do have to spend with him is quality time and I'm sure he'll do fine.

No idea how to help you. You're a parent and you'll worry about him and agonize over your decisions on how and what you did for the rest of your life. The older he gets, the dumber and more wrong you will get. It's the process--get used to it. :jester:

...it is hard at first but after a few weeks it will get easier and life moves on. good luck and if ya need to vent we are here for ya brother.
:withstupid:

It will all work out okay bro. It's just a 'change' & you obviously care a lot about your son. We were lucky and had grandparents almost fighting over who got to babysit our little girl when my wife went back to work. Needless to say, she didn't start daycare until she was approx. a year old. I was worried about it too, I wanted the BEST for my lil girl. My wife convinced my she needed to interact with other kids her age & that it would prep her for school later. The 1st 2 weeks were rough, but my (now 1.5 yr old) girl LOVES going. She sleeps better at night (tired from playing?), and even brings things home for us that they make in daycare (really cool- I have some hanging up at work).

The only bad thing that I have seen is that she has already been sick a few times. :( But my wife said at least it is minor stuff & her ammune system has to build up anyways. Young kids need 'kid interaction' IMO, it helps them develope social skills. Here in TX the state requires daycares to keep a log of feeding, naps, & types of diaper changes. Check with your daycare to see if they can/will provide you with a log sheet every day you pick your son up- let's them know your on your 'A game' with your son in mind. :thumbs:

-Just my 2 cents, and it won't even buy you a cup of coffee these days.

:seeya:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

It will get easier, father of three here. You just have to make sure he is getting taken care of at the place and (you) take care of him at home. You might not get to work on the truck bc you are holding him, but thats ok. Seems like your wife is just at a tuff time in getting done with her schooling, a Docterate is not going to come easy but once in hand it will be worth it.

you are a good dad for worrying.

We went through this as well............Bottom line is that it is hard to leave your child with people that you don't know...So many thoughts/fears cross through a parents mind, that it literally sickens you... ...As mentioned before, it does get easier, but as parents, we are supposed to worry.............We were fortunate though, in the fact that we only had to have daycare twice a week...........My mother-in-law watched him the other 3 days, which not only gave us mental relief, but eased the pocketbook as well.................... :D

Now, I'm going through a whole new experience.....today was actually my little boys first day of kindergarten........They decided to do an "all-day" kindergarten this year, and I thought for sure that he wouldn't stay all day.......but, to my surprise, I picked him up and he was all excited talking about what they are going to do tomorrow................ :) ..........