To The Parents On This Site

Holty

Thanks Scott, that does help to know that your daughter enjoys going now. How old was she when you first starting taking her? I think him only being 4.5months old is what is really bothering me the most.

6 months they wouldnt let us any earlier. hope that help

I have two kids my two year old is in day care the same one my oldest went to, It is tough at first but it gets better.. the day care we send our kids to is very educational they teach them all kinds of stuff. When my oldest went to kindergaden, him and one other kid who went to daycare toghether were the only ones who could read a complete book.. My 2 yr old can allready counts to 14. I know it sucks sending them, but when they come home talking and counting its pretty kick ass.. And awsome pics very cute

I'm sorry to hear about the situation, economy is ass at the moment.

For what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents, and it sucks to say, but this is my feeling and I have a soft spot for young children.

The truck is a piece of steel and plastic, it has no feelings, no loyalty and no love toward you. It'll never remember that you sold it, and will never miss you. Your child will love you and miss you. There were thousands of SS's made, and hundreds for sale. There will be more made and more for sale in the future. Your child has one life, as do you. Make it count; regret is a bitch.

Maybe when they're older and they can communicate and be a little more independent and enjoy the company of other kids, but so young makes me nervous.

Bottom line is I would sell my truck in a heartbeat, even let it get repossessed if I had to.

Hope all works out for you, I feel for ya' bud. :( your decision is your own, noone knows the situation like you do, just though I'd give my $.02...

My daughter is almost three and she is going to pre school soon (can't go until she is three.) I really don't have a problem with it. I actually want her to go so she can interact with others her age. I did have her in a program (Gymboree) which allowed her to be with other children her age, but she eventually grew out of it and since she is almost at age for pre school, we figured it would be better for her to attend pre school rather than Gymboree. The Gymboree class did help her and I think pre school will also help her. She will only be going for four hours two days a week to begin with. We can have her go more if we decide to later on, but we want to see how she does first. As we all do, I only want the best for my daughter and I think this is best. She is very smart, talks alot, and tells me things that trip me out. She is ready for pre school now (she is potty trained and talks a whole lot), but they won't take her which kind of upsets me, but what can I do?

As for daycare, it would kill me to have her in a daycare all day, all week! Luckily we have family that steps up to help us when we need it. We are very fotunate to have such a wonderful, caring family.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I really think my biggest problem with the whole situation is having to leave him there for the entire day, 11hrs is a long time. It just makes me feel like shit...

you are a good dad for worrying.

This statement says a great deal about your character Josh. I have 2 girls (6 and 5) and one on the way. Early childhood interaction with other kids is essential for development of social skills. This is often overlooked and leads to learning issues down the road. Daycare is often harder on the parents than the child. As long as the facility is clean, qualified staff, well organized and actually has a learning curriculum (rather than 100% playtime), it will benefit your little guy tremendously. Rest assured you are doing the right thing.

I work very long days and have a very long commute which leaves me with only 2 hours (or less) of face time a day with my kids. It makes me sick everytime I think about it. At one time, I was considering a career change to be with my kids more....still ponder that one. This has been the single most stressful event in my life to date.

BTW, if the "Daycare" facility is also considered a preschool, the money spent is tax deductable.

I am amazed at all the well intentioned replies that you have received. I agree with them all. I have a 9 year old girl that was cared for by an Army wife friend of my wife, while she and I were working Soldiers in Ft Hood, TX. When that family left we decided on daycare (and as has been already mentioned) word of mouth was the best advertising tool for the best daycare in this area. She communicated with kids her age by going through a yelling-biting phase (that freaked me the 'f' out, especially when she did it to me!). As she grew into the daycare so did we. Long story short in the last 8 years she has been to four different daycares in three different military cities in two states. When she started kindergarten she scored in the top 98%ile meaning daycare did good for her. Only potty training was a set back because we (her parents traded a few Iraq deployments that emotionally was too much for her). Her mom made it through military PA school and I was an active duty Army First Sergeant (with my own 50-110 kids aged 17-40!). Life was hectic and one thing we did not worry about was childcare. It did freak me out though.

Flash forward to today: she is an accomplished gymnast, blackbelt in TKD, a brand new well adjusted 4th grader. Did I mention she still snuggles up with mom and dad, more often than she should?

Having said this, the advice I could give you has been given before: sleep pattern changes, playing with parts he hasn't played with before (after 12-18 month mark) may be indicators. I am a criminal analyst for Army CID now and have seen issues that would make a grown man cringe...fortunately none from daycare facilities.

I have since been retired from active Army for 2.5 years and my wife (a CPT (PA-C) in 7-10 CAV, 4th ID) just ETS'd (exited the Army) today...time to start another phase of our family.

Good luck, brother.

I'm with ya bro!!!, but in reality all you/we can do is rely on the best info/recomdations givin and go with it. Putting my son in daycare was both the happiest and worrisome day of my life(For those knowing is med situations). his interactions with others are a great welcome. My sadness is knowing that i have to work away from home day in and out is the dificult part.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I really think my biggest problem with the whole situation is having to leave him there for the entire day, 11hrs is a long time. It just makes me feel like shit...

Is there a local student (late elementary, early high school) that could babysit for him after they get home from school?

I know alot of girls that age like little kids, and most would love to have him around. My girlfriend for instance (much older obviously), actually LOVES to babysit her nephew. She'd be that type...

That may be a way to get him out a few hours earlier and know he'll get one on one attention...