Thinking About Getting Back Into Mountain Biking

70chevy03ss

So I was over my girlfriends brothers house tonight watching the down hill extreme mountain biking and it brought back some old memories of ridding mind back in the day and doing all kinds of stupid stuff, and having a blast at doing it. Then after he showed me his brand new bike I really started to think about maybe getting into it again..

So I am asking the SSS community for there advice and thoughts. I have been out of the game for so long what's some GOOD names to look for?? I understand there not going to be cheap but since winter is around the corner I can start to shop if you will..

So give me some ideas and thanks!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

What kind of riding are you contemplating? And how large a budget? How large are you? All factors to consider :D

The usual suspects like Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Ventana are still around.

Might want to check out http://wwwmtbr.com/ for enough information to get your head swimming :jester:

I have an Ibex Asta, which is aimed at Cross Country / All Mountain type riding (full suspension, but on the light side for less extreme riding). Ibex is a well regarded direct importer/seller and the Asta is in the "cheaper" range at about $1000 :crazy:

www.ibexbikes.com

My bike on the trail:

IMG_1730.jpg

ch950509.gif

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

Don't forget to look for the components, not just the name of the bike. An expensive name brand with crappy components makes for bad experience, on the other hand, a lesser known bike with high end components will be a great buy.

another question is what is your budget... bikes can get expensive very quickly... I.E. the wheels on my road bike alone are $1500. they are a titanium hub, scandium rim, tubeless tires

What kind of riding are you contemplating? And how large a budget? How large are you? All factors to conside

Well looking to do jumps and things, and not have to worry about breaking something.Theres a place that he rides at in NH it has gaps and jumps. hills walls, Budget not sure yet selling things and like I said winter is around the corner and I can say. Im 5/8 180-190

I would look to spend around 1800 dollars to get into a full suspension bike. You can find them cheaper but like a few posters mentioned you have to look at the components as well as the name brand. I would look at Specialized or Jamis as the two prefered brands. I've been in the bike buisness for 16 years now and I feel that you get the best bike for your money with a Specialized, however you pay for it. Jamis gives you more bike for your money with a lower cost. My website is www.bikesportmd.com You can go on products and bikes and see what I sell.

Don't forget to look for the components, not just the name of the bike. An expensive name brand with crappy components makes for bad experience, on the other hand, a lesser known bike with high end components will be a great buy.

another question is what is your budget... bikes can get expensive very quickly... I.E. the wheels on my road bike alone are $1500. they are a titanium hub, scandium rim, tubeless tires

Very well put.

I would build the bike instead of buying it complete.