Stock shock quality.

marc_w

It seems as though the stock shocks are adequate... but are they really any good?

I'll be looking for some easy bolt on mods over the next few months. I'm wondering how well a good set of Edelbrock IAS or maybe some Rancho adjustable shocks would be over the stock units we have. I haven't been a big fan of Bilsteins.

Hotchkis sways will probably be coming in the future. Unless new shocks rock THAT much.

in my opinion i think they are crap, but some guys are changing them at not really noticing any difference. I probably going to upgrade mine eventually, but not sure what to get. I know Benkey did some research, but i don't know what his final conclusion was.

Edelbrocks are a decent improvement over the stock shock, but they have been known to leak. I would call and ask them if they have eliminated that problem before I bought them. One of mine leaked, but still worked fine the entire time.

QA1s are a really good adjustable, lightweight, shock. Pretty expensive, about $120 a piece, I think. But, very versatile.

Rancho 9000s are adjustable, but heavier than QA1s. About $80 a piece, but Summitt usually list them as buy 3, get one free.

I may do adjustable, not sure which, just to control the weight transfer and the rise of the front and spinning of the front tires.

What kind of problem have you had with Bilstein? Excellent shock.

Ben,

I know what you mean about the front end hanging up in the air. even though i am not superchargered, looking at pictures racing at the track of the front of my truck, it definely has to come down just for aerodynamics sake. in your case traction as well. Let me know what you shock you end up going with.

is the QA1 adjustable ?? have you looked into Koni shocks ??

Ben, I had two Bilstiens in my old '02 Z71 Avalanche die around 30K on the clock. I didn't catch anything leaking from them, but they failed the "bumper bouce test" pretty miserably. One of them made a hissing sound possibly as if there was air in it.

In their defence, I live on a street that resembles a minefield. There are dirt roads in town that are in better shape than mine. But still.

Also, I hear there were a few bad shocks out there in 2002 or so, that were getting replaced under (GM) waranty. I was a little more interested in trading the truck rather than fixing them at that point (these damn SS's).

I hear their waranty is awesome, and they are rebuildable........ but I also like to try new things unless the old product was THAT good. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived