Legal Way To Transport A Rifle?

BOB47

Anybody know what the law says about transporting a rifle? Does it vary from state to state? I need to pick up a rifle of mine from a friend that's about 2 hours away. Talking to my neighbor and he said you can't carry a rifle in the cab in Michigan. I think he's full of it. I always have. Just make sure it's unloaded. He says if I get pulled over I can be arrested for carrying a concelaed weapon. I don't want to carry it in the bed because it's a very nice rifle and I don't want it bounced around. Anyone know for sure what the law is?

For those that care, it's a 6.5mm Jap. Authentic WWII rifle recovered by my grandfather during the war. Has a beautiful handmade curly maple stock. Small, but a great brush gun. Really accurate up to about 100yds.

i believe that in california you have to have the firearm in one part of the vehicle and the ammo in the other part of the vehicle, example:you can have your ammo in the cabin with you, but the fire arm has to be in the trunk and empty, or the other way around.

Edited by Vidalss (see edit history)

Anybody know what the law says about transporting a rifle? Does it vary from state to state? I need to pick up a rifle of mine from a friend that's about 2 hours away. Talking to my neighbor and he said you can't carry a rifle in the cab in Michigan. I think he's full of it. I always have. Just make sure it's unloaded. He says if I get pulled over I can be arrested for carrying a concelaed weapon. I don't want to carry it in the bed because it's a very nice rifle and I don't want it bounced around. Anyone know for sure what the law is?

For those that care, it's a 6.5mm Jap. Authentic WWII rifle recovered by my grandfather during the war. Has a beautiful handmade curly maple stock. Small, but a great brush gun. Really accurate up to about 100yds.

Laws vary from state to state so I would call your local State Police troop and ask them directly. I would hate to see you get pulled over and have the weapon taken from you, especially because of its significance to you and your family.

This might help to:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/pu...ns/firearms.pdf

Bob,

If Michigan is the state you're concerned with then this Michigan State law may apply.

According to it you only have to comply with any one of the following; my thoughts are in Parenthesis:

(a) Taken down. (Could be as simple as removing the bolt)

(b) Enclosed in a case. (If you don't have one you could buy a cheap one)

© Carried in the trunk of the vehicle. (Don't know if you're transporting it in the SS or a car)

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle. (Under the rear seat may not meet this requirement since it would be easily accessible by a passenger.)

If you still have questions call your local or state police.

Every State is different ...

But in Mass ... If you were passing through, this is what you would need to do.

1 - You MUST Be licensed in the state you reside, for the firearm/rifle you are transporting.

2 - Must be unloaded.

3 - Must be in a Locked Case.

4 - Must be out of reach of the operator of the vehicle.

But you should check Michigan Laws ... or call a Barracks/Station/Department ... and ask for their Armorur (sp). They will be able to help in telling you the gun laws.

Bob,

If Michigan is the state you're concerned with then this Michigan State law may apply.

According to it you only have to comply with any one of the following; my thoughts are in Parenthesis:

(a) Taken down. (Could be as simple as removing the bolt)

(b) Enclosed in a case. (If you don't have one you could buy a cheap one)

© Carried in the trunk of the vehicle. (Don't know if you're transporting it in the SS or a car)

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle. (Under the rear seat may not meet this requirement since it would be easily accessible by a passenger.)

If you still have questions call your local or state police.

Thanks Ray, It is in a soft case and I always take the bolt out.

You should be okay as long as the ammo and the weapon are not in the same part of the vehicle, which makes transporting in a truck a little more difficult, but you are best off going to your local police station and asking directly. That is a hard one to go by the "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" train of thought. Very nice rifle BTW.

Every State is different ...

But in Mass ... If you were passing through, this is what you would need to do.

1 - You MUST Be licensed in the state you reside, for the firearm/rifle you are transporting.

2 - Must be unloaded.

3 - Must be in a Locked Case.

4 - Must be out of reach of the operator of the vehicle.

But you should check Michigan Laws ... or call a Barracks/Station/Department ... and ask for their Armorur (sp). They will be able to help in telling you the gun laws.

Wow :eek: You have to be licensed to own a rifle in Mass? To the best of my knowledge Michigan doesn't require a license for rifles. Only handguns. I've owned/bought and sold many rifles since I was 14 and never had to register them or get any kind of licenses except hunting licenses.

I think you are good. Long guns are not as pickey about as driving with a pistol on your seat of the truck. I have gone up north hunting with many firearms under the seat of the SS, with the ammo in the box next to the gun, not loaded. IF you were stopped you would tell the officer first so he knows and can act accordingly, but I doublt you will be 'actn ghetto' enuff to get stopped Bob:)

POst some pics of this vintage piece.

Wow :eek: You have to be licensed to own a rifle in Mass? To the best of my knowledge Michigan doesn't require a license for rifles. Only handguns. I've owned/bought and sold many rifles since I was 14 and never had to register them or get any kind of licenses except hunting licenses.

Yes and no ...

You must possess at least an FID (Firearm Identifcation Card) card ... If not, you must have an LTC A or LTC B ... (license to carry)

But what I mean ... is as long as you satisfy your states laws regarding ownership/licensing, then your ok to pass through, as long as you meet the other criteria ... :thumbs:

Just put it in the back window on a rack like us Texans..lol

ditto for wyoming ... or on the dash ... or next to you in the seat ... just not concealed ... unless you are a badass like me with a Conceal carry permit :) (ok badass might be a stretch but hell I'm pretty badass).

I think you are good. Long guns are not as pickey about as driving with a pistol on your seat of the truck. I have gone up north hunting with many firearms under the seat of the SS, with the ammo in the box next to the gun, not loaded.

IF you were stopped you would tell the officer first so he knows and can act accordingly, but I doublt you will be 'actn ghetto' enuff to get stopped Bob:)

POst some pics of this vintage piece.

Joe,

What if the cop starts pissing on Bob's truck? That'll be ugly :jester:

Bob,

The Texas gun rack idea will throw 'em a curve :P