Let Me Tell You About My Header Install

mightbstock

Pulled the truck in, put it on the lift and took all the factory exhaust off, since I am doing a corsa to go along with the OBX L/Ts. After the manifolds are off we start with the passenger side. My buddy trying to pull the dipstick tube out, broke it off at the engine block. We were unable to get the remaining end of the dipstick out, so it is currently siliconed shut.

Now, the headers are finally on up to where they bolt to the main exhaust. The OBX "cats" are on however the rear O2 sensor on passenger side is stripped and will not thread into the bung.

Start driving, open headers, and at about 30mph the CEL starts to flash. I have not gotten a tune yet and probably wont have the money for a month or so. Is this flashing caused by the "cats" not really being cats?

I will take the truck to advance tomorrow and get the obd scanned.

HOW does the dipstick tube come out? and are there any suggestions on how to get the tip out?

Thanks in advance..

-

Evan

the light proable came on because you didnt have the back 02's turned off threw a tune because they are not cats you will need to do this, BUT get the codes checked to make sure nothing else is going on. Also the dipstick just pulls out a oring holds it in dont know why it would break off. Hope this helps.

Pulled the truck in, put it on the lift and took all the factory exhaust off, since I am doing a corsa to go along with the OBX L/Ts. After the manifolds are off we start with the passenger side. My buddy trying to pull the dipstick tube out, broke it off at the engine block. We were unable to get the remaining end of the dipstick out, so it is currently siliconed shut.

Now, the headers are finally on up to where they bolt to the main exhaust. The OBX "cats" are on however the rear O2 sensor on passenger side is stripped and will not thread into the bung.

Start driving, open headers, and at about 30mph the CEL starts to flash. I have not gotten a tune yet and probably wont have the money for a month or so. Is this flashing caused by the "cats" not really being cats?

I will take the truck to advance tomorrow and get the obd scanned.

HOW does the dipstick tube come out? and are there any suggestions on how to get the tip out?

Thanks in advance..

-

Evan

The MIL could have came on for one of three reasons. A. Because of the computer seeing your non-existent catalytic converters are not functioning properly, rear O2S not functioning properly, or you didn't install your front O2S and your computer cannot control fuel trims.

Unbolt and slide out the dipstick tube. It may take some force to free it from the block as it uses an interference fit and an O-ring seal that tends to get stuck. It should use a bracket to hold the dipstick tube in place

yes, spark plugs were removed before header installation. I also replaced the plug wires with brand new wires, none of which are in contact with the headers. The vehicle sounds to be running fine(firing on all 8) however the idle is a little lumpy and tends to surge.

I no longer have a dipstick tube, it was broken off where it goes into the engine block. The base is still in the block.

yes, spark plugs were removed before header installation. I also replaced the plug wires with brand new wires, none of which are in contact with the headers. The vehicle sounds to be running fine(firing on all 8) however the idle is a little lumpy and tends to surge.

I no longer have a dipstick tube, it was broken off where it goes into the engine block. The base is still in the block.

Does it smell like its running rich? If it does then it is a problem with the front O2s. Unplug the battery for awhile to clear the codes while you check everything. Start it back up and see what happens.

Also, make sure no oil is leaking out from where the dipstick broke off.

Are you sure you didnt break the transmission dipstick? cause I dont see any reason you would need to mess with the engine oil dipstick when putting headers on. If the trans dipstick is the one you broke there is one bolt connected to the motor that you had to remove to get the put the headers on then it is attached to a trans bolt and then it just sticks in the transmission pan with a rubber grommet.

Are you sure you didnt break the transmission dipstick? cause I dont see any reason you would need to mess with the engine oil dipstick when putting headers on. If the trans dipstick is the one you broke there is one bolt connected to the motor that you had to remove to get the put the headers on then it is attached to a trans bolt and then it just sticks in the transmission pan with a rubber grommet.

Im pretty sure it is the engine oil dipstick, comes up through the factory manifold.. has a yellow colored dipstick located on the pasenger side. It goes through the block and into the oil pan.

You might try using an easy out to get the dipstick out. Clear the silicone out of the hole find the right size easy out to fit inside the tube and hopefully it will twist out. While cleaning the silicone out, you might want to keep a vacuum hose at the point so any debris wiil get sucked up instead of going into the oil pan.

okay, just scanned the OBDII at advance, the only code that came up was cyl. 7 misfire. Are the cylinder numbers the same as a SBC or are they different?

I will have to try the easyout method once I get money for a dipstick. Does anyone know a part number or price for the dipstick tube?

Im pretty sure it is the engine oil dipstick, comes up through the factory manifold.. has a yellow colored dipstick located on the pasenger side. It goes through the block and into the oil pan.

Yes, that is the engine oil dipstick and it does have to get removed in order to install headers. The transmission dipstick comes up from the back of the motor. It isn't bolted to the block like the engine oil dipstick, it is held onto one of the bellhousing studs with a nut......just wanted to clear that up.....

okay, just scanned the OBDII at advance, the only code that came up was cyl. 7 misfire. Are the cylinder numbers the same as a SBC or are they different?

I will have to try the easyout method once I get money for a dipstick. Does anyone know a part number or price for the dipstick tube?

Cylinder #7is the driver's side back cylinder closest to the firewall. If all you are throwing is a P0307, you need to check your #7 spark plug for fouling and cracks, and your wire to make sure it isn't melted, but also seated on the coil and spark plug properly.