Hvac Actuator? Which One? How?

BlakAZss

Hey guys - I am still fighting an HVAC problem, and I need some real info!

History:

1.) The truck has always had a 'cluck' from some door behind the dash. Most of the time there was a cluck every 20-30 seconds or so. Usually didn't happen with the AC on vent running full blast - which is the way I normally run here in phoenix.

2.) Recently, I had the negative battery cable off. When I hooked everything back up, I turned the key to ON and let it sit for a min, then started it and let it run for 5 mins. When I turned the key to ON, I could hear the actuators going through the calibration process. Eventually, it went through the whole process, and viola! defrost vents only regardless of the controller selection. I have run the truck though several 'reset' cycles for a few weeks now, and nothing.

Truck is an 03 SS with the manual HVAC controls.

So, I know I have an actuator problem. The question is which one to solve problem #2 first? I really don't want to take it to the dealership.

I looked under the drivers side of the dash and could see one of the actuators, but a metal brace or subframe for the dash was blocking access to the top mounting bolt, and I was unable to get any kind of tool on it. I am not even sure I am looking at the right one?

So - Which actuator do I need to attack first, and how do I do it? Im not worried about the 'clunk' right now, I just want to be able to select something other than defrost.

Thanks!

Edited by BlakAZss (see edit history)

can't help with the clunk, but i had to replace my battery in June, and when i hooked it back up my vents were not working at all. after trying to switch the vent controls, calling it every name i could think of, i disconnected the neg. on the battery for 30 sec. and after that all worked fine.. :confused:

try that, the most you can wast is 30 sec..

good luck

:seeya:

can't help with the clunk, but i had to replace my battery in June, and when i hooked it back up my vents were not working at all. after trying to switch the vent controls, calling it every name i could think of, i disconnected the neg. on the battery for 30 sec. and after that all worked fine.. :confused:

try that, the most you can wast is 30 sec..

good luck

:seeya:

Yea, done the battery thing like 200343242 times now. No dice. Also tried to pull the 2 hvac fuses (same point) to no avail...

I had the same "defrost mode only" problem a couple of years ago. I had to have it fixed at the dealer. It took them a week to get it right! I also was still under warranty at the time. I know it was an actuator replacement that fixed it, but I have no further information than that. Sorry. I didn't realize that there was more than one actuator.

I'm still having this problem as well. It keeps getting stuck on defrost, at first it was fixed by pulling the HVAC fuses for 30 secs or so and letting it reset, but now it seems to just be stuck just like yours. I think I'm going to just give in and take it to the stealership.

I'm still having this problem as well. It keeps getting stuck on defrost, at first it was fixed by pulling the HVAC fuses for 30 secs or so and letting it reset, but now it seems to just be stuck just like yours. I think I'm going to just give in and take it to the stealership.

Matt - let me know how you come out if you do take it to the dealer.

I have heard a couple of things on this issue:

1.) The foam seal around the actual door gets sticky, and that is why it gets stuck.

2.) some guy said he opened up the actuator and one of the gears had slipped on the shaft and was no longer engaged. He claimed he re-engaged the gear and all was well.

3.) there is a thread on the corvette forum somewhere where they actually take the actuators apart and 'reindex' them by changing the gear alignment by a few teeth... Corvette dudes are serious....

This is sounds kinda familiar with a problem I just recently started having. My passenger side A/C blows heat only, but my driver side A/C functions normally off the thermostat. Would the problem be in the dual thermostat or should i try to "reset" it by the battery disconnect?