Oil Pan Question

SSplaytoy

in a AWD it is super easy... pull the cross member (awd and 4x4) and then the 2 bottom bellhousing bolts then oil pan bolts....

Kinda what I was hoping and thinking but wasn't sure if I were to have clearance issues with the front differential or the pick up when dropping it.

the front diff has to be unbolted and hung down but thats easy too.

No biggie there. I know thats only a few bolts and I have to check and see if any bolts from the trans are involved too.

About how long do you think it takes outta curiousity?

NotesOil Pan Replacement

Removal Procedure

<script language=JavaScript> <script language=JavaScript> <script language=JavaScript>

1. If equipped with Four Wheel Drive (4WD) , remove the inner axle housing nuts and washers from the bracket.
  2. Support the front drive axle with a suitable jack.

<script language=JavaScript> <script language=JavaScript> <script language=JavaScript>

1. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier lower mounting bolt and nut.

1. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier upper mounting bolt and nut.
  2. Lower the front drive axle.

1. Remove the transmission cover bolt.

1. If equipped, remove the oil pan skid plate bolts.
  2. Remove the oil pan skid plate.

1. Remove the crossbar bolts.
  2. Remove the crossbar.

1. Remove the transmission cover bolt and cover.
  2. Drain the engine oil and remove the engine oil filter.
  3. Re-install the drain plug and oil filter until snug.

1. If equipped with the 4L60-E automatic transmission, remove the transmission bolt and stud on the right side.

1. Remove the bottom bolt on the left side.

1. If equipped with the 4L80-E automatic transmission, remove the transmission converter cover bolts.

1. If equipped with a manual transmission remove the two bottom bellhousing bolts.

1. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector (6).

1. Remove the battery cable channel bolt.
  2. Slide the channel pin out of the oil pan tab.

1. Remove the following from the positive battery cable clip:

• Engine wiring harness clip
    • Positive battery cable clip

1. Remove the engine oil cooler lines from the positive battery cable clip.
  2. Remove the positive battery cable clip bolt and clip.

NotesOil Pan Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. If equipped with Four Wheel Drive (4WD) , remove the inner axle housing nuts and washers from the bracket.
  2. Support the front drive axle with a suitable jack.

1. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier lower mounting bolt and nut.

1. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier upper mounting bolt and nut.
  2. Lower the front drive axle.

1. Remove the transmission cover bolt.

1. If equipped, remove the oil pan skid plate bolts.
  2. Remove the oil pan skid plate.

1. Remove the crossbar bolts.
  2. Remove the crossbar.

1. Remove the transmission cover bolt and cover.
  2. Drain the engine oil and remove the engine oil filter.
  3. Re-install the drain plug and oil filter until snug.

1. If equipped with the 4L60-E automatic transmission, remove the transmission bolt and stud on the right side.

1. Remove the bottom bolt on the left side.

1. If equipped with the 4L80-E automatic transmission, remove the transmission converter cover bolts.

1. If equipped with a manual transmission remove the two bottom bellhousing bolts.

1. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector (6).

1. Remove the battery cable channel bolt.
  2. Slide the channel pin out of the oil pan tab.

1. Remove the following from the positive battery cable clip:

• Engine wiring harness clip
    • Positive battery cable clip

1. Remove the engine oil cooler lines from the positive battery cable clip.
  2. Remove the positive battery cable clip bolt and clip.

Looks straight from the GM manuals :cheers:

I have the set, just not with me. I am guessing it shouldn't take me more than an hour to drop it and look up in there. Depends on how many times I have to stop and get a beer :jester:

• 14 years later...

I’m about to tackle this today. Went one direction with a N.A. Fast LSXRT 102mm TB and manifold. None of that shit ever lined up w Vortech set up and got aggravated. Put truck in garage for about 4years. now putting Vortech supercharger back into my 2005 AWD 408 SS. The old oil pan is going back on because it still has the SC drain plug and feed block attached.