Brake Bleeding Question

Ross

I just installed my Earls lines on my 03 AWD ss.

I bled the brakes with a pneumatic bleeder but I'm having a ton of air in the rear lines.

Question is - for those who did their own installs - how much air was in your rear lines or how long did it take you to bleed them?

The fronts have zero air and pulls straight fluid but I seem to not be getting anywhere with the rears.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It might take you a while to bleed your rear brakes pneumatically, our trucks are "required" to bleed the brakes with a scan tool to circulate the fluid by turning the valves in the ABS module on and off.

I have done it without, and you may very well damage your ABS module, I luckily didn't but it did take me about 30 minutes just to bleed the front and rear.

So I'm taking it that Punisher is the only one that did their own brake line install?? I find that hard to believe.

I've bled tons of brakes in my past and something just doesnt seem right with this thing. I did them in the correct series but thought I was just pulling air from the screw or something but as I got to the front they both pulled fluid straight through and in about 30 seconds with the pneumatic bleeder had zero air in the lines.

I also have a mityvac hand pump - should I try that one too?

Thanks everyone....I just don't want to take it to the dealer unless I have to.

I'm on my second one now and its almost done - the fluid that is coming out of the rear seems to be clean fluid...

Again - maybe this is all im going to get but I just spent another 20 min on the pass rear with the mityvac and im still getting tons of air...

Yeah - I gave up and the fluid I was pulling looked brand new so I guess I pretty much flushed all of the old fluid out.

I drove it down the street and I have plenty of brakes but wayyyy too much pedal movement.

This is really pissing me off

I double checked everything.

Only thing I can think of is I'm pulling air from around the rear bleed screws - they are slightly different from the front so that could be the issue.

Going to have the wife help me and manually bleed the rear tomorrow - hopefully that will do the trick

I got to thinking about it too and ABS shouldn't be an issue since I should only be pulling air from the new lines and not all the way through the system

Edited by Ross (see edit history)

if you are going to put your brake lines on i suggest that you use a pedal depressor to push the brake pedal down about one inch. this will help the loss of brake fluid. it's just like if you took a straw and put it in a glass of fluid and put a finger on top of the straw.

I just ordered some speed bleeders so I'll see what happens with those.

I replaced the bleeder screws with new ones for now and used the cheap one person bottle from autozone that inserts into the bleeder screw hole.

I pumped the pedal a few times and there was air - few more times and it was all fluid and filled up the bottle - both sides same result.

I thought that was it for sure...

Pedal still has wayyyy too much travel - stops great once I get past that point but something is still not right.

Hopefully these new speedbleeders will do the trick.