Double Din Installations

i was wondering who has installed a double din unit into their silverado?

my friend was in an accident and his car is totalled, so i was thinking of buyn it. but i need to know how much work it would be to install since the trucks are din and a half or if it requires major mod to the dash.

thanks

Crutchfield is your friend - There prices are usually high on the actual electronics but their mounting and harnesses are worth the money and come with great instructions.

I put a double in my 03 with no cutting or issues - just patience tucking everything in

i was wondering who has installed a double din unit into their silverado?

my friend was in an accident and his car is totalled, so i was thinking of buyn it. but i need to know how much work it would be to install since the trucks are din and a half or if it requires major mod to the dash.

thanks

Its soooooooo easy for a double din. Its not much work at all. Most work is driving to best buy, getting the harness and bracket and driving back home haha. And if you really want to get fancy getting and programming the steering wheel controls.

post-18250-1255580814_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2000 silverado so I have read up a lot on this. There a a couple methods. one is you buy a bezel from a 2003 and newer silverado and it will slide right in and you would buy a double din bracket for the radio

and another is one guy took the dash and did many precise measurements and moved the AC bracket down a tiny bit, moved the center divider between the radio and the ac down. Retrofitted the stock clips that hold the head unit in place to hold a double din, and has to smooth everything out and paint, but by far one of the cleanest installs I have seen. He had a write up on it posed on a website, but I checked and it is deleted now...

and there was actually a third method I cant remember, but 1999-2002 silverado trucks are 1.5 din and will need to be altered to fit a double.

I actually found the write up. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825435/3