How-to Remove The Door Panel

dcairns

1) Remove the manual door lock slider assembly. To avoid damage, pry from the rear, as shown, not from the front. The front end has a non compressing clip, but the rear has shorter compressing clips.

IMG_1607.jpg

2) Now that the secret screw is reveled, you can remove it. It needs a 9/32” hex driver or socket.

IMG_1608.jpg

3) The other screw is under the door handle. Also a 9/32” hex driver/socket.

IMG_1609.jpg

4) Pop off the triangular plastic cover starting at the top. The bottom has a long clip extending into the door panel that will break if you start from the bottom.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

5) Remove the door opening handle, starting from the rear. The front has a longer clip that will be damaged if you start at that end.

IMG_1612.jpg

6) Now you can lift the door panel upwards, using the door handle as a grip. Use caution as there are still wires connecting the door to the panel. I find it handy to hand the door panel back on the door by the lip at the window, leaving the bottom free to swing out for access to the wires.

7) Remove the screw under the front of the switch panel. It needs a 9/32” hex driver or socket. Then you can pop the switch panel out and disconnect the wires.

7a) Alternately, you could remove the wires from the bottom of the switch panel and leave the switch panel attached to the door panel.

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

8) Remove light bulb from lower rear of the door panel light

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

9) Now the door panel is free and can be completely removed. I would suggest that you put a couple bits of tape to hold in place the black plastic retainer that the screw from step 1 goes through. It will also help when reassembling the door.

IMG_1618.jpg

10) To remove the door opener handle, a 10mm socket is needed.

IMG_1619.jpg

11) Pop the plastic retainer off the actuator wire. The wire is now free to remove from the handle. Slide the handle forward to release from the door.

IMG_1620.jpg

12) Carefully peel off the clear plastic protecting sheet, being careful not to stretch it. Put it aside where the adhesive won’t get dirty

All done. :D

A couple quick questions,

Are the 04+ models a little different to take off? Mine has a couple torx screws.

I've had somebody on here diagnose a problem of mine of being the Door Actuator has gone bad, where/what exactly is this?

Thanks in advance

A couple quick questions,

Are the 04+ models a little different to take off? Mine has a couple torx screws.

I've had somebody on here diagnose a problem of mine of being the Door Actuator has gone bad, where/what exactly is this?

Thanks in advance

it may have a torq inside the head of the fastener, but should still be a 7mm overall.

the lock actuator is bolted to the latch on the door .

Awesome How to. Thanks!

I've been meaning to pull the panel off to see if I have a loose window track or Regulator.

Got me a rattle with the window all the way down.

This will come in handy.

I have a rattle as well with the window down only when closing the door though.

• 10 months later...

I have a rattle as well with the window down only when closing the door though.

Bringing this thread back up.

Took car of the rattle with the window all the way down today. It was a bolt right above the window motor, not sure what it was for but it was loose, and now no more rattle. Took me a total of about 25 minutes, didn't remove the door handle and just peeled back the plastic to get to it.

Thanks again for such a great write up. :cheers:

-Neil

• 1 month later...

Very good write up. I also had the rattle in the door and window down. The 04 Silverado I have had a plastic bolt/nail mid way in the front of the panel and had torx bolt with a plastic button to hide the apperance of the bolt mid way at the back of the door panel.