Dusting Off My 64 Impala For Restoration

dcairns

Just get a custom 9" rear end. My uncle has a 59' (355ci) impala convertable and a 58' (348ci) impala convertable both with Curry 9" rear ends....

Have you ever priced them? $2,800 or more :crazy: Seems like a lot of money for some gears and metal stick :jester: Although I hear Currie does great work and they are only a couple miles away from me.

• 2 months later...

Some new toys for the project....

New 700r4 transmission. Overdrive will be most welcome after running 3200 rpm on the freeway at 65mph. Add a lower first gear, and this should be the best of both worlds. Better off the line and quieter on the highway, better MPG for what that is worth on a car that won't see a lot of miles.

IMG_1971.jpg

New carb, an old Carter AFB from a 409 engine. This will have the CFM to keep up with the 383 stoker.

IMG_1974.jpg

How long before you crank it :pop:

It has been running off and on the last few months. I have been nibbling away with small projects on it. At the moment it is up on jacks, almost ready to drop the old transmission out. I find it helpful to keep it running as much as possible, so I can drive it around a bit and remind myself why I am doing all this messy and expensive work :jester:

• 1 year later...

New engine is built. A 327 block stroked to 383. Looks stock on the outside, but some extra cubes inside. Could have made a lot more power if I did not have to stay with stock parts like the heads and intake.

PSI_3417.jpg

Dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9ke0rQlT8

Car at the body shop after media blasting. Not much rust to deal with, one nice thing about living in California.

PSI_3734.jpg

PSI_3744.jpg