Dusting Off My 64 Impala For Restoration

dcairns

I have decided to bite the bullet and spend some $$$$$ on my 64 Impala and get it back in shape for driving so I can enjoy it rather than have it just taking up space in the garage. It will probably take me a year to get this all done, lots of stuff to clean and repair. Starting with the underside, rust removal and painting. Then the engine compartment cleaning and painting. I will farm out the exterior paint and body work, since I hate sanding :rolleyes: and a professional paint job is so much better. Then the interior gets some extensive replacment.

The photos tend to wash out the surface rust in the paint, so the photos look a lot better than it is. It needs paint and body work (strip to the metal and start over) as well as some rust repair work. The first quote for that work was $10k +, :omg: second shop said $6k-$7k.

This is the first car I ever owned. Got it for free from a relative back in 1982 :D Started life with a 283 engine and Powerglide transmission. I upgraded the engine to a 327 and TH350 transmission, then broke the crank on the 327 :ohmy: ; and (perhaps foolishly) decided to put in a 350 bored and stroked to 383. I guess the quest for speed is never ends :D Now I wish I had the 327 (or a 409 :D ) in there.

Yup, there is a 64 Impala 4 door sedan in there somewhere....

IMG_1628a.jpg

Interior needs fresh carpet, upholstery and headliner. Then a new stereo to replace the dead Alpine. They make some cool stuff now, from retrofiting a modern stereo inside your old stock radio, to new radios that just look more like the belong there, though not stock.

IMG_1635a.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

Needed 2.5 quarts of transmission fluid and several glugs of power steering fluid!! I guess I have a few leaks to fix. I manually pumped gas into the dried out carburetor bowl to minimize cranking time, and it started right up. As you can see I have some work to do painting and cleaning under the hood as well as fixing some mechanical issues. I also want to get this back to a more original looking configuration. Right now it has a 350 small block bored and stroked to 383 and a TH350 transmission (replacing the old 2 speed Powerglide). I want to try and dress it up to look like a 327. That means changing the valve covers to the ‘no holes’ version used back then. This means the oil fill and PCV get relocated from the valve covers. So that means getting the oil fill tube located on the front of the intake manifold, near the thermostat, so that means a 327 intake manifold with the hole for that. Also need to change the intake to get a period carburetor in there to replace the Quadrajet I have now. Not sure which carb to use. Probably the Rochester 4GC, I had one of those on the 327 and it worked well. The other choice is a Carter AFB, but the old 64 models seem to be more expensive.

IMG_1661.jpg

Freed from the junk! After 3 years of not having run, it still runs. I think those tires are 15-20 years old, so they are not going on the freeway :ohmy:

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

Some dust in the air caught the flash from the camera, making a weird kind moon in the sky.

IMG_1662.jpg

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

I love those bubble tops, and I actually like the 62's looks better than the 64. The arrow shaped body crease makes it look sporty. :cool:

As for an LQ9... well, got one of those already :wink: Part of the fun of an old car is the old engine and stuff. Although it can make you feel old. I went to the auto parts store to get a new dwell/tach meter. Looked around a bit, not finding one, I asked the kid behind the counter. He says "What's a dwell meter?" :P I guess the computers have been doing that job for longer than he has been around :rolleyes:

Strange as it may seem, it is a bit harder to find 4 door specific parts. Everybody is restoring the 2 door SS's, so that is where the reproduction parts action is.

BTW, are there any differential experts hanging around here? The Chevy differential of this vintage is the weak link. I have gernaded one, and broke two axles in the time I have had it. I have heard that other GM full sized cars of this vintage (Buick, Olds, Caddilac, Pontiac) had a bullet proof diff that looks just like my Chevy diff. Unfortunatly they were pretty much used up in drag racing, and are scarce. Is is possible to beef up the Chevy diff? I need to change ratios, as the change from Powerglide to TH350 has changed my ratio out of the transmission (2900 engine RPM at 60mph).

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

it's to bad i still don't have my old stuff any more :cry: 327 intakes, 2BL, 4BL, duel quad, valve covers, ram horn exhausts, dampers, 2 blocks, 1 was a 61 the other was a 67, and a set of fuelie heads all gone now, :mad: so sorry i can't help with some spare parts.. :banghead: i read somewhere that a company was coming out with NEW camel hump heads. if i remember right there aluminum, I'll see if i can find the info..BTW..my 65 Impalas that i had with the PG rears were i believe 3.36 gears.

but good luck with the 64... :thumbs:

:seeya:

I love those bubble tops, and I actually like the 62's looks better than the 64. The arrow shaped body crease makes it look sporty. :cool:

As for an LQ9... well, got one of those already :wink: Part of the fun of an old car is the old engine and stuff. Although it can make you feel old. I went to the auto parts store to get a new dwell/tach meter. Looked around a bit, not finding one, I asked the kid behind the counter. He says "What's a dwell meter?" :P I guess the computers have been doing that job for longer than he has been around :rolleyes:

Strange as it may seem, it is a bit harder to find 4 door specific parts. Everybody is restoring the 2 door SS's, so that is where the reproduction parts action is.

BTW, are there any differential experts hanging around here? The Chevy differential of this vintage is the weak link. I have gernaded one, and broke two axles in the time I have had it. I have heard that other GM full sized cars of this vintage (Buick, Olds, Caddilac, Pontiac) had a bullet proof diff that looks just like my Chevy diff. Unfortunatly they were pretty much used up in drag racing, and are scarce. Is is possible to beef up the Chevy diff? I need to change ratios, as the change from Powerglide to TH350 has changed my ratio out of the transmission (2900 engine RPM at 60mph).

Just get a custom 9" rear end. My uncle has a 59' (355ci) impala convertable and a 58' (348ci) impala convertable both with Curry 9" rear ends....