4l65e Rebuild

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebuilding my transmission. What clutchs bands should I use? I am going with PATC for my parts. They have a bunch of hi po parts any ideas? I have my servos and a transgo kit already. Wide band? 300m shafts? Any help would be great.

I would go through oregon performance transmissions for your parts. They are a bit cheaper.

the alto red clutches seem to hold up well, or you can use the raybestos blue clutches. Either the red hi energy band or the carbon band hold up well. I would go through circle d and get their input sleeve/psiton kit. I can get you the 300m input and output shafts cheaper than anywhere else. If you dont already have the RPM spring kit from transgo I would also do that.

I have a 13 vane sock pump wih a .490 boost valve. I was wondering if I should go with the wide carbon fiber band. I was wondering about PATCO input drum but I guess it isn't that good huh? I'll pm you danny for the shafts. How about removing the ball and capsule for the lock up clutch on the input shaft? Just trying to do it right this time. Also guys I am looking for an extra transmission case. Will a 2wd case work if I remove the tail shaft?

I have a 13 vane sock pump wih a .490 boost valve. I was wondering if I should go with the wide carbon fiber band. I was wondering about PATCO input drum but I guess it isn't that good huh? I'll pm you danny for the shafts. How about removing the ball and capsule for the lock up clutch on the input shaft? Just trying to do it right this time. Also guys I am looking for an extra transmission case. Will a 2wd case work if I remove the tail shaft?

you can remove the bleed orfice in the shaft, but I will warn you lock up is going to slam... the 2WD case is the exact same other than the output shaft and tail housing. I can get you all of the parts you need also. Do some research and find out some prices and then let me know. I may be able to beat their pricing.

...I was wondering if I should go with the wide carbon fiber band...

The carbon fiber band actually doesn't 'bite' as well as the Alto red wide band; but the advantage of the carbon fiber band is that it's almost impossible to glaze over. The Alto red wide band, I've run it for 40K-miles banging into 2nd so hard that it finally egg-holed the band anchor in the case (!) and the band did not have so much as a mark on it, still looked brand new - great product. The Alto red High Energy material I love, it does have one downfall and that is, if for any reason it starts to glaze over, it's gone, it's not very forgiving in that regard. So we make sure to build the 4L60s so that they don't slip in the first place! LOL

Mr. P. :)

I burned up 2 sets of the Raybestos Blue Plate Specials before switching over to the reds. And I shattered the same drum as P and cracked the input shaft that came with it :banghead: I also switched over to a 10 vein pump with hardened rings. The walls on the 13 are too thin and will crack if you increase line pressure.

Please don't tell me that, I just put one in. :banghead:

I found my original post about this - we have a couple more shattered "reinforced" drums just like this from customer builds heaped in the aluminum recycle bin. :(

CRACK! I did not see it originally even after it was pointed out to me:

BustedInputA.jpg

Where's The Beef?! There's a lot of aluminum missing here, the collar simply shattered like glass into hundreds of tiny fragments:

BustedInputC.jpg

BustedInputD.jpg

That failure & pics was 2-1/2 years ago - and I remember now, I really took that transmission failure very personally, because when BMan and I opened-up the case we discovered so much wrong inside it was depressing. And I got invoiced for parts I never received. And everything that could possibly be burnt or damaged was; it took $1500 in parts alone to fix. That was the incident that pushed me into learning much more about 4L60's. I guess I'm still kinda pissed about it! :laugh:

Today we can get much better input drums, there are a couple other really good alternatives. The PATC Torque-Drive drum will do OK as long as you don't have bang shifts into 2nd.

Wow glad I put up this topic. I was sold on that Raptor drive package. So a stock input drum with a 300m input shaft should do it. I am torn between the carbon and the Alto red band. Also what about the other clutch packs in the transmission. Oh and by the way what went in my tranny was the 2/4 band and drum was smoked. It always shifted hard as hell but one day I lost 4th and I continued to drive it even at the track and 2nd always shifted very hard,then doing a Sunday drive with my gf I lost 2nd. Found the servo lock ring blew out and the 3/4 clutck apply ring were damaged. Ever seen this?

Wow glad I put up this topic. I was sold on that Raptor drive package. So a stock input drum with a 300m input shaft should do it. I am torn between the carbon and the Alto red band. Also what about the other clutch packs in the transmission. Oh and by the way what went in my tranny was the 2/4 band and drum was smoked. It always shifted hard as hell but one day I lost 4th and I continued to drive it even at the track and 2nd always shifted very hard,then doing a Sunday drive with my gf I lost 2nd. Found the servo lock ring blew out and the 3/4 clutck apply ring were damaged. Ever seen this?

No get a reinforced drum, contact Dan and he'll get you a better alternative. On the band, 6 of one, 1/2-dozen of the other - if you are FI then *maybe* we would lean towards the CF band just because if it does slip a tad it won't be affected like the Alto, but the Alto grips like a SOB and we've had great success with it too. Other clutch packs, go all Alto - get their high energy 'master kit'. The 3/4 clutch pack, we can advise an improvement there too. Tame your shift calibration, you don't want a hard shift I assure you, just a noticeable '1-2 bump' - anything more will tear sh!t up.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Tame your shift calibration, you don't want a hard shift I assure you, just a noticeable '1-2 bump' - anything more will tear sh!t up.

Mr. P.

Agreed! Probably why my trans takes a dump at least once a year with something :banghead: But I love that hard shift!

The carbon fiber band actually doesn't 'bite' as well as the Alto red wide band; but the advantage of the carbon fiber band is that it's almost impossible to glaze over. The Alto red wide band, I've run it for 40K-miles banging into 2nd so hard that it finally egg-holed the band anchor in the case (!) and the band did not have so much as a mark on it, still looked brand new - great product. The Alto red High Energy material I love, it does have one downfall and that is, if for any reason it starts to glaze over, it's gone, it's not very forgiving in that regard. So we make sure to build the 4L60s so that they don't slip in the first place! LOL

you are running the carbon band. you do know that right. and for the record its not a carbon fiber band. It is a carbon impregnated band it has a carbon content within the friction material. Carbon bands dont not slip at all in fact they are a better band than the alto red because they last longer they are also twice the cost. We have been using the carbon band in the last dozen builds.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)