latest knock info

We had some trouble with kr pulling back our timing to about 10-11 degrees. We have the radix with a 3" pulley. We replaced the stock plugs with ngk tr6's gapped at 0.040 (no reason just a guess). We shimmed an ls1 tstat for 160 and installed. We let the truck heat up to check for leaks. Temps got to about 180. Initial test drive wot burst showed 10ish degrees of timing and 3-5 degrees of kr. Immediately, kr decayed to 0 while timing increased to 15.5. This occured within about 2-3 seconds. The next 6 wot runs showed no kr and 15.5 degrees of timing. Not sure what was the fix, but we should have run a smaller gap with a sc setup. The weather didn't cooperate to do more runs. I just wanted to post what we learned since I talked to many of you. Thanks to everyone I bugged about this!

I am using the Denso IT20 gaped at 0.038. 7lbs of boost from a KenneBell kit. I have No Kr at WOT.

We are all looking forward to the write up.

thnaks

CD

My plugs are the same heat range, just NGK iridium. I thought TR6 plugs came with a .035 gap? Did yours come with a .040 gap, or did you guys open them?

Glad you figured it out.

Glad to hear you're winning the battle with KR. :thumbs:

We are definitely interested in seeing results now that the tuning is under control.

Thanks for the updates. Don't worry about bugging us, we bug each other enough its not even noticed... :jester:

We opened the plugs up to 0.040. Another item. While chaning the thermostat, we pulled one of the IAT wires out of the crimp splice. So our IATs were -38 or so. This set a code and, I think, pulled some timing out. We fixed the wiring when we came back but the weather didn't cooperate for us to go back out and test. No testing today either. I'm hoping that we can get back to ~18 degrees.

Archived