Anyone Running A Carb'd Big Block?

TACOSS

Anyone put a nice running rat motor in one of these trucks? I found a pretty cheap 454 and 2wd th400, im looking for torque and this stock set up is quite disappointing even with the 4.10 gears. Will a big block fit between these frame rails?

Anything will fit, but the amount of work to make it fit depends on the difference in size. I don't know of anyone who converted to a carb setup :dunno: I would just stick with fuel injection imo

The 8.1 which comes in the 2500's is a new gen big block so all the factory parts would make it work. My question is why? With the right mods these 6.0's are great engines and they make tons of power done right. Heads and cam with a tune will get you there.

You could add to your existing LQ9 and make it a real "Beast" Hot Rod Mag did a two part article on this engine a got over 500 hp with stock EFI and Ignition. FAST Cathedral intake, GMPP L92 Heads, dig cam, headers and PCM tune would put you in the back bench. You could do all the mods without pulling the engine of course you will need to change the converter and add strength to the transmission of course. The LQ9 is a Gen III engine with LS architecture. Here are the links below to the articles.

Part 1 http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/...lock/index.html

Part 2 http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/...pt_2/index.html

If you rather not deal with a Beast and looking for a MONSTER skip the 454 and drop a 572 in it!!

... I found a pretty cheap 454 and 2wd th400 ...

A cheap 454 probably is a stock 454 not making much more power than the engine you already have, and you will want to mod the hell out of it to achieve your goals. So either way you are modding the engine no matter what direction you pursue, so by my judgement it all comes down to which engine is the better platform to build from. Having built a couple BBC's, I can tell you the only thing more expensive than LS parts are BBC parts lol. You can buy heads now for LS motors that flow much more air than the BBC heads; get a set of Trick Flows or AFRs or a great set of hand-ported heads, add a 4" crankshaft & terrorize the neighborhood. OR, you can spend a whole lot less and add a 125-shot and have "big block" performance on command.

Mr. P. :)

i looked into the new 496 engine but they are more of a boat motor(small heads with different bolt pattern, ect), im just going off the good old days when we had the 454 chevelles and elcaminos around and would instantly burn the tires if wanted, a built 454 is gonna cost me 3-4k, and have equall torque and hp in the 500 range. So thats all im going off, so any feed back is welcome.

in all honesty its probably going to be a bigger headache to try and get a carb'd BB to work properly in these trucks than to just help out the stock motor make more HP and TQ

But motor on and keep us updated with the project and tell us how it comes out

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)