Opinion On Build...little 5.3l H/c Project

Whats up guys...Well as some of you may know I sold the SS ...I felt I went too far and it wasnt fun to drive if I wasn't racing...Ideally I would have done the Radix with a 3.2 pulley,Dynatechs with cats, Corsa touring,FLT lvl 5 and just drove and enjoyed it...a very cool 20 y/o kid in Texas bought it..And I cried the day I shipped it out...

Anyways I bought a 01 GMC rcsb 4.8 and am getting ready to put a 5.3 in and add a few goodies,as soon as I start I will create a build thread...here it is below , all opinions welcome, keep in mind this will be my dd and goal is to be a low 13 sec truck while still being reliable..check it out

-5.3 short block 20k mi

-PRC stg 2.5 5.3 heads 59cc chambers

-Thunder Racing TR220/551 112 cam

-Stanless Works lts with catted y 2.5"(from packjh)

-Corsa Sport

-K&N CAI

-ngk tr55

-taylor wires with 60* boots

-Jantzer ported TB

-Shift kit / servos /tbtc

-G80 with 3.73 or 3.90

-and of course street tuned via efi live

-EGR delete on the d/l in the CA

Let me know what you guys think and if that cam is too big for the stall...I was alo considering the Vinci "trucker cam" which is less duration and lift...sorry for the long post...its been awhile and my wife offers no help;)

Whats up guys...Well as some of you may know I sold the SS ...I felt I went too far and it wasnt fun to drive if I wasn't racing...Ideally I would have done the Radix with a 3.2 pulley,Dynatechs with cats, Corsa touring,FLT lvl 5 and just drove and enjoyed it...a very cool 20 y/o kid in Texas bought it..And I cried the day I shipped it out...

Anyways I bought a 01 GMC rcsb 4.8 and am getting ready to put a 5.3 in and add a few goodies,as soon as I start I will create a build thread...here it is below , all opinions welcome, keep in mind this will be my dd and goal is to be a low 13 sec truck while still being reliable..check it out

-5.3 short block 20k mi

-PRC stg 2.5 5.3 heads 59cc chambers

-Thunder Racing TR220/551 112 cam

-Stanless Works lts with catted y 2.5"(from packjh)

-Corsa Sport

-K&N CAI

-ngk tr55

-taylor wires with 60* boots

-Jantzer ported TB

-Shift kit / servos /tbtc

-G80 with 3.73 or 3.90

-and of course street tuned via efi live

-EGR delete on the d/l in the CA

Let me know what you guys think and if that cam is too big for the stall...I was alo considering the Vinci "trucker cam" which is less duration and lift...sorry for the long post...its been awhile and my wife offers no help;)

I would reconsider the converter choice.... some have had good luck, but I have seen a few of them fail as well.

What exactly are you looking for with this truck?

I would reconsider the heads... Lately I have seen failures do to their aggressive cnc program where the rocker bosses actually crack through into the port roofs.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

I would reconsider the converter choice.... some have had good luck, but I have seen a few of them fail as well.

What exactly are you looking for with this truck?

I would reconsider the heads... Lately I have seen failures do to their aggressive cnc program where the rocker bosses actually crack through into the port roofs.

I just want a mid to low 13 sec truck thats reliable...and stay on a $2500 budget...what about the Patriot 5.3 heads?

Look into some Trick Flow heads.. They are bad ass.

Yeah they are nice ..but waaay too expensive...I have too many other hobbys...

Hey Brian,

Looks like a fun setup, but I'm not quite sure you'll get the low 13s out of it you'd be hoping for. That cam with that stall won't quite get you the 60' times you'll need to get down the track that quick, IMO. Will likely have a bit of a dead spot down low.

When do you anticipate having this all buttoned up? Still living there in el cajon?

Justin

That's a pretty decent list of parts for a street truck. Overall it should work together well. Tuning will be a big key in getting it to work together with a low stall to the converter like that.

I was hoping you would chime in knowing you have a 5.3...what would you change...the converter or cam...I was also thinking a 02 z06 cam or a 212/216 525/531 112 lsa Let me know what you think

-Thanks

Hey Brian,

Looks like a fun setup, but I'm not quite sure you'll get the low 13s out of it you'd be hoping for. That cam with that stall won't quite get you the 60' times you'll need to get down the track that quick, IMO. Will likely have a bit of a dead spot down low.

When do you anticipate having this all buttoned up? Still living there in el cajon?

Justin

Hey Justin...Do you guys think I should go smaller cam or bigger converter, I still want to keep it a mild mannerered street truck that will pass CA emissions on a budget build because we plan on getting the wife a new car

-I am ready to pull the trigger now on all the parts as far a $$ goes and am picking up that 5.3 this week,I was actually hoping you would be out this way for a street tune

-We bought a condo/loft in Mission Hills (Downtown SD) and love it!!

Thanks, and talk to you soon.....

Forgot to mention I will probably do a 75 wet shot to obtain the low 13 second goal...with some dr's..I am thinking the 78mm plate system,I see them alot used as guys go to 90mm or 102mm, I will be there to take there outdated stuff,as long as I can go fast :chevy:

Hey Justin...Do you guys think I should go smaller cam or bigger converter, I still want to keep it a mild mannerered street truck that will pass CA emissions on a budget build because we plan on getting the wife a new car

-I am ready to pull the trigger now on all the parts as far a $$ goes and am picking up that 5.3 this week,I was actually hoping you would be out this way for a street tune

-We bought a condo/loft in Mission Hills (Downtown SD) and love it!!

Thanks, and talk to you soon.....

For that setup, with the changes due to the heads, I would fully suggest bringing it up to Temecula for a couple of hours on the dyno as opposed to the street. Too many variables have changed to really be able to ensure that we can get it perfect otherwise.

I think that cam can do just fine with something that flashes in the 3000-3200 range while still being very streetable. I just don't think you'll get enough out of the TBTC with the 5.3L and the torque band with that cam.

The 220 on a 112 will be iffy on emissions as it is. With those headers, you're going to have to be "creative".