Building A House

SS Silv

I have had enough with wasting my money by renting an apartment. About 3 months ago I started looking for a home to purchase so I could get the 8k first time home buyers tax credit, but I couldn't find anything decent in my price range. So I gathered my resources and decided to build. The only problem was it's December and I live in North Dakota. I had the plan drawn within a week, got price quotes, and had the foundation put in before the ground froze. It's going to be a 1,600sq. ft. ranch style home. I didn't want to put a basement in as the lot is in the flood plain. I am extremely excited! I will keep this thread going as a "home" build thread. And yes we will continue to build through the winter with hopes of being done by the end of May 2010.

First pic:

P1010565.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way cool man . get ready for some stress though i didnt build a home but i did pretty much go through my entire house and replaced everything . floor/drywall/windows/bull nosed corners/cabinets/lighting/counters/ everything . ill say it took me 3-4 months and a ton of dough but now its my own personal spot that is perfect for me . i cant explain how excited i am to move in another week or two. do it your way for sure.

way cool man . get ready for some stress though i didnt build a home but i did pretty much go through my entire house and replaced everything . floor/drywall/windows/bull nosed corners/cabinets/lighting/counters/ everything . ill say it took me 3-4 months and a ton of dough but now its my own personal spot that is perfect for me . i cant explain how excited i am to move in another week or two. do it your way for sure.

Good for you too man. What is going to help is I know a lot of people in the home building industry. Also, winter time is a slow period for all contractors and they are looking for work. So gettting things done shouldn't be a problem. Minus the foundation, framing, siding, windows, and roofing I will be doing a lot of the work myself which I am looking forward to. I work for my father who is a plumbing/HVAC/electrical contractor and I am able to save a lot of money buy doing the plumbing and heating myself. I wanted to do Geo-Thermal heating/cooling but I won't be in this house long enough to see any savings. My goal is to build some equity and sell the house in 5 to 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...

We have made some progress. We pre-fabbed all of the exterior walls in a heated shop as the weather has been in the negatives. All of the walls were built in 2 days and we had them standing in one day. Cruising right along. Now the kicker, we had 4 inches of snow yesterday and we are expecting 10 to 15 more inches on thursday. This will slow us down a bit. The rafters should be here next week, so all of the snow is going to have to be removed from the interior :banghead:

These pics were taken before the heavy snow hit:

P1010567.jpg

P1010569.jpg

P1010570.jpg

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

Did you use 2x4 or 2x6 on your walls and what kind of insulation are u using? Also when are u going to pour your floor?

Used 2x4 and insulating with spray foam. I have to get the exterior finished then thaw the ground, install the underground plumbing and underground heat, then we will poor the slab.

What do they charge for the spray foam in your area, in missouri i was told $2 square foot and 45 cents for the cullose insulations. I just dug a hole for my house also just trying to find out what other poeple are charging for there work. Rough frameing is going for 3.75 square foot in my area.

What do they charge for the spray foam in your area, in missouri i was told $2 square foot and 45 cents for the cullose insulations. I just dug a hole for my house also just trying to find out what other poeple are charging for there work. Rough frameing is going for 3.75 square foot in my area.

I couldn't even tell you the price per square foot. My best friend is a private contractor and I have the hook up for materials. I can figure out the price per square foot later.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally making some progress. With the sub-zero temps and 12+ inches of snow the build was on a hold. Finally the weather changed directions and we were able to build. Got the rafters/roof on and started shingling. Next is windows and install a temporary heater to thaw the ground so I can get the plumbing in.

P1010576.jpg

P1010577.jpg

P1010578.jpg